Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a lot of different answers on this subject and I did some some searchs, however I'm still a little unclear on this. I have a 70 bb convertible thats a clone. Yea I know the story. So, I want to change the dash to an ss. one. If I get the ss dash with idiot lights can i use the original engine harness and the same fuse block? I can asume if I get one with the gauges that I need a new engine harness and fuse block? thanks for your time and knowledge.

[This message has been edited by jjjersey (edited 09-17-2002).]

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
There are two harnesses under the hood, the engine harness and the forward lamp harness. You can use both with the light dash. If you go with the gauge dash you can use the engine harness but will need to replace the forward lamp harness OR you can add two wires to the harness for the amp gauge.

The fuse block is an integral part of the dash harness, you will need to replace the dash harness. The light dash and the gauge dash each use a different harness. The sweep dash harness isn’t even close and can’t be used.

The best way to go is to replace all three harnesses with new reproduction harnesses, $500.00+. Another option is a used dash harness but be advised you can spend good money for junk like rusty fuse clips, burned or melted wires, cut or missing wires etc.

Now for the sales pitch. I can provide you with a refurbished harness and the under hood wires for the amp gauge, if you go with the gauge dash, for a lot less money. I use only the correct SAE GPT or SXL wire, with the correct wire terminals and use the correct tools for installing the terminals. The amp gauge wiring will have the correct fusible links installed. E-mail if you’re interested.

------------------
TC member 368
My ElCamino 1
My ElCamino 2
My ElCamino 3

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Elree I need some help with my amp gauge.
I've installed new M&H harnesses when I put the SS dash in. Looking at the schematics isnt helping too much. I see circut # 105 and #106 on the engine side of the bulkhead connector and from how it looks on the print one runs to the starter and the other runs to the horn relay. When I probe those two wires I do show amperage.
Granted now I need to check wiring to the gauge but I wanted to make sure Iwas on the right road to start with.

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
You can never fix a Ford,You can only work on them alot.
70 442
The Z-meano
Cowl induction injection

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Quote from Elree Colby;

"There are two harnesses under the hood, the engine harness and the forward lamp harness. You can use both with the light dash. If you go with the gauge dash you can use the engine harness but will need to replace the forward lamp harness OR you can add two wires to the harness for the amp gauge."

Isn't that the other way around? When I replaced my sweep dash with a round dial guage dash I had to replace the engine harness because it was different but the forward harness was the same???

Haven't seen one yet but The Muscle Factory sells a kit to convert a round dial idiot light dash into a guage dash. Supposedly it comes with an adapter cable that hooks up to the idiot light under-dash harness. Don't know about quality or even if it works that well, but it would save a lot of money.

Does anyone know if a sweep dash and a round dial idiot light under-dash wire harness is the same?

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Phil

The amp gauge, for 72, connects to the large battery terminal on the start solenoid and the horn relay. It is sensitive to a small voltage difference between these points. I think this is what you’re referring to ” circut # 105 and #106”. My number is listed on the phone book if you want to call about this.

Jeffery72

”Isn't that the other way around? When I replaced my sweep dash with a round dial guage dash I had to replace the engine harness because it was different but the forward harness was the same???”

On 70s and 71s with the gauge option the forward lamp harness different, the engine harness is the same. On 72 the engine harness is different, the forward lamp harness is the same.

”Does anyone know if a sweep dash and a round dial idiot light under-dash wire harness is the same?”

No the sweep dash harness is not the same as a round dash (SS Monte) light harness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts