Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at the point in the restoration of my 66 SS396 where I need to re-wire the car.

Here's the things that changed on the car that affects the wiring:

-Original engine harness was hacked up by previous owner to install the 454 crate motor with int regulator, MSD distributor, etc... (I'm still going to use the crate motor with an int. regulated alternator)

-The dash has gone from a stock idiot light setup (clock in dash) to an SS full guage package, added a KneeKnocker tach & console clock.

-Everything else on the car has pretty much stayed the same.

My question is:

How do I go about wiring this? The original style harnesses sold by Year-One etc, are way too expensive for me...

Should I go with a painless setup? I don't really fancy changing the fusebox, but I guess if the kit gives me everything I need...

Just looking for advice & suggestions on what all of you have done, looking for some wisdom here.

Thanks!

P.S. What kind of HEI Distributor would you reccommend for my '91 454 LS6 crate engine in this car? This car will just be a cruiser, no racing...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry I am not familiar with chevelles but Camaro's have seperate harnesses out of the fuse panel for headlight, engine, dash and taillights. I have never seen a dash wiring harness beyond repair and they are a good buck. Most of it can be patched and hidden. I have replaced several engine harnesses, there really not much to them but the replacements do look a lot nicer.
good luck

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Painless will custom fit a harness for you. List the items you have and the car you have. It will look real similar to a factory harness, just have the correct connections for YOUR car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts