Chevelles.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I have done several searches on horn relay wiring, and all the topics/diagrams I found were very helpful. With my car, it looks like the previous owner jacked up the harness to remove the external regulator. My horn relay has all the correct wires going into it except the wire from the steering wheel. I have the hot lead from the battery, the pink wire for dome light??, and the black wire going to the actual horns. AND, I have pulled off my steering cover and I can see the horn wire connected. It has terminal connector and then the wire feeds into that black plastic tube down into the column. My question is - where do I go from there. I keep reading that it attaches to the steering column or shaft somehow, but is there then a wire that comes from the shaft into the horn relay? Should I have one single wire from the horn pad to the relay, or does the steering shaft serve as part of the ground for the circuit? Help!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sounds like everything in the column is OK. There should be a thin gage black wire running to the horn relay. Part of it may still be in the harness leading up to the bulkhead connector under the hood.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by Dean:
There is a pink wire to the dome light connected to the horn relay?

I didn't know that.
There's a pink striped wire going to the relay, Dean. It's the key minder wire that makes the relay buzz when the key is in and the door is open. He needs to find the small black wire to make the horn work.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mr. Muha, I was hoping u would chime in. I am gonna check around for that black wire again and post back. Thanks!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JimL82,

I actually printed that Corvette diagram while trying to figure this out awhile back. Thanks. That info is what helped me figure out I was missing the black wire from the column. Now I just have to trace that
wire where it cones out of the bulkhead on the firewall.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I spent some time under the hood today. I started by pulling the bulkhead connector from the firewall. It looked like all the wires were there. I could see the pink/black wire for the key buzzer, and a small gauge black wire (for the horns I presume). From there, I followed the harness up to the front of the car. I was able to count all the wires that left the bulkhead, and trace them up to the front (except for one tan looking wire that goes down to the brake line under the firewall). Well, the black wire that I think goes to the horn relay was actually spliced with a couple of other black wires coming from the headlights and side marker, and they were all screwed/grounded to the front of the car, near the horn relay. I cut the suspect black wire out of this junction, and stripped it clean, then ran it into the horn relay, but I did not get any honk when I hit the steering wheel. Next, I disconnected battery, unscrewed the horn relay from firewall, did a quick visual inspection of it, and then screwed the horn relay back into position. Then I reconnected the battery, and tried running a jumper from the horn relay to a good ground. I thought this would close the circuit and the hooters would hoot, but no go. Finally, I just hooked all the black wires back up to where they were before, just to start back over tomorrow. Wouldn't you know, I go open my door with the keys in the ignition, my dome light is on, but now NO KEY BUZZER!! ARGH!! :mad:
To make matters worse, I start the car and pull out of the garage onto the driveway and out of nowhere my horns start WAILING!!!!!!! haha. I had to jump out of the car and disconnect them. I left it like that for now, until I can get back under there and see what the heck is goingz on! d*mn electrical gremlins!!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Way cool, honking hooters. If you try and ground the relay connection to ground, does the horn honk? This is the relay terminal that the small gage black wire goes to.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, that is exactly what I tried to do. I ran a test wire (with two alligator clips on it) and connected one side to the relay terminal where the black wire from the steering column would go, and I connected the other side to a good, known ground point(valve cover). I got nothing.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
With terminal #2 grounded with your jumper wire, use your voltmeter to connect terminal #3 (the wire going to your horns) to ground. If it reads 12 volts, check the horn wiring or horns for defects. If no reading is obtained, replace the horn relay.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ooooh! Now see, I had not tried that before. I will give that a try tonight and see what happens. Like I said, something is going on somehow, because they started honking like h*ll last night outta nowhere.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I just tried that, and I think I am confused about which terminal is which.
The terminal for the wire going to the horns is #what???? and the one going to the harness towards the bulkhead is #what???
To clarify, the terminal to the horns is the one in the "back" of the relay. The terminal going to the harness is on the front side, the same side as the "hot" stud, correct?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
My 1971 Chevrolet Shop manual shows the following:
Terminal #3 goes to the horns. The Chevelle wire is black 14 gage. Corvette, Camaro, Nova, and big Chevrolet is a dark green 14 gage wire.

Terminal #1 is the red wire going to the battery.

Terminal #4 has the pink and black wire to the key buzzer switch in the steering column.

Terminal #2 has a black wire going to the steering column horn button.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts