Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't use the 14" wheels I've been using to hold the car up once I install the big brakes on my 69. I have a set of 17" wheels a buddy gave me a few years back, but there is too much backspace and the center hole for the hub is too small. If I could get them all the way on, they would rub or not turn at all. I could buy a set of spacers/extenders, but not for $200+.

Are there any decent type wheels that would work? I was thinking of heading to the junkyard and seeing what they had, like maybe a set of compact spares if I could find 4 in 5x4.75. They can be positive offset if they are narrow enough. The ones I have are 9" wide and have a 7" backspace. This car won't hit the road with them on, I just need something to roll the car around on.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I found a set of '91-'92 Z28 16" wheels on CL for $60. They'll clear your brakes & have the proper offset. Too bad you're not closer, I'd let you have them for nothing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You could bolt everything up and make sure it fits, you have everything, etc. Then remove the calipers and use the 14’s until you get the wheels you want. That’s what I did for a month or so until I decided on wheels, especially since my motor was out so I wasn’t worried about trying to drive it.

·
Registered
20,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help and the offer. I think I have worked something out.

I went to the pull a part and looked around. There were a lot of 16" space saver spares laying around in the GM section, but unfortunately the way they were designed there isn't much space inside. I need about 15" to clear the rotor and caliper assembly and most of them were only 14". I looked long and hard at a set of 18" wheels on a BMW X5, but I think I would still need spacers. If I found space saver spares, I'd be out of there for $50, steel wheels would be about $95, and those aluminum BMW wheels would be $160.

I got on Ebay and looked for the spacers with the second set of studs on them, and I can get cheap Chinese BS for about $30/pr. If I use a 2" spacer on the front and a 1/2" spacer on the rear, I think I can get the Firebird wheels I have to work. They're OEM 1995-2002 Firebird 16" wheels. It will be tight, but I think they'll work with the spacers, and that's by far the cheapest option.

·
Registered
20,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the spacers - $55 total, tshould be here Monday. The rest of the brakes setup is arriving today. I already got the backing plates, and I bought a kit with calipers, rotors, and pads from Rock Auto. They're Power Stop, the same ones I have on the front of my truck. They seem to work pretty well.

Also received the body bolt kit from TotallyStainless. Going to be a fun week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts