Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just put some new wheels and 15x8x275's on the back of my 69ss. (looks great by the way) thanks for the previous advice.
this is a 4 spd, 410 posi 461 decent running car. i've installed no-hop bars and they work well. that being said some of these little punkers roaming the streets today come off like sling shots. i was lined up next to a typhone (sp?) last night no rev's brake torque, nothin but gone when we turned green. what rpm range do you guys suggest for a good launch? i'd like to come out strong w/o breaking axels and such. really vague question i know, i'd appriciate any comments. 12 bolt rear by the way.

------------------

·
Registered
283 Posts
With 275X8s you are not gonna break any axels unless there was something wrong with it before. Your just gonna have to go out and fond out at what Rpm the tires break loose . Then back off a coupla hunert Rs and go from there. Every car is different, street (and track) conditions change. Pratice, practice practice.
Harley

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I don't know if you are going to beat a typhoon off the line or not. I think those are all-wheel drive. If you have slicks you might beat him up.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi John,
I have to disagree with Harley's approach.
I think that dropping starting line RPM's
to where the car doesn't break the tires
will make your car bog/stall/flop (unless
you have wicked low gears @4.88). The only way to prevent this would be to ride the
clutch, which wouldn't be a good idea either.
I suggest finding the speed at which you can put the peddle to the metal(in 1st gear) without breaking traction. Let's say that's
12 mph. Check your tach at 12 mph and that
should be your launch rpm. Let's say it's
2400 rpm.
Leaving the line at 2400 let the tires break and avoid the overwhelming temptation to drop the peddle. Keep rpm at 2400 till
tires begin to hook up then drop peddle and
away you go. It takes practice but I've won countless races this way.
Remember that there are some cars, because of power, weight, set-up etc., that
you will never be able to beat off the line;
but it's who's ahead at the end who win's.
If you don't panic you will catch the
smaller/less powerful car in short order.
Good luck!

breaking traction.

·
Registered
172 Posts
How bout getting really tricky? Get a pneumatic line control kit.What is that you ask? Ultra simple explination: Press a momentary button in your car .light turns green you put the pedal to the floor .Now although its floored the carb is only going to open to a predetermined setting of your choice, (from idle to WOT to anywhere inbetween). Now when you get rolling you can release the button and you will go to WOT. without having to feather the gas pedal. Its much harder for me to explain it than it is to hook it up but, here is a place where you can see it.
http://www.martelbros.com/dedenbear/18.htm

------------------

–Joe454–
"67 Malibu"

·
Registered
527 Posts
Ron and Joe are onto it. Also if your clucth can take it let it go in second gear. On the street thats about the only way to keep it goin, nothin like burnin the tires and stayin with they guy next to ya.I set of sticky rear tires will really help out.

[This message has been edited by 1bad67 (edited 07-22-99).]

·
Registered
287 Posts
I dought you will ever beat a Typhoon [or Cyclone] on the street if your car is basically a street car. They are very definately all wheel drive and hook like a good booger on your finger. I think the only real way you could beat him off the line on the street is with a cheater slick say, a MT/ET Street. So many people overlook the importance of tires. If you have a 1000hp you will be beat every time off the line by any 5.0 if you can't hook. I would think seriously about what you use the car for.. Daily driving? Get a good street tire. Frequent street racing in your daily commuter? Get a cheater slick. Street racing for $ on a Sat. night? Better get a real slick..

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ron summed it up better than I could.

But that is the way I do it. Takes practice.

But most of all, keep a cool head. It is real easy to blow it on a stick shift car.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys appriciate the help, i was trying to remember how we used to do come out (as i'm an old fart,) but come to think of it our cars wern't this fast and the competition wasn't aimed at 0 to 60. think i'll try rons approach, sounds good and it's free. john

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.