Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently using AT&T and my contract was up years ago. I would like to switch to another provider and would like suggestions on a good quality provider. Havent been real satisfied with AT&T for a few years but was just happy enough not to hassle with switching. However, I broke my phone the other day and since I would have to pay to get a new one. Might as well sign on with a new provider and get the phone for free if thats the case. Any recommendations? Im currently considering T-Mobile and Verizon.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I'd choose one without a contract. There are tons out there. (We had Verizon at work. I used them for 12 years. This was in AZ and coverage was so-so at best. Oddly enough, it WAS one of the better ones then. I use US Cellular now (retired) has best coverage around here.

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
Whoever has the best coverage, in your area. I have Nextel now (work phone) And I can't get a clear signal unless I'm on my driveway, Inside the house it drops call all the time!! Piece of crap!!

I have At&T for my wife and kids, I took a phone home to make sure it worked in the house, before I signed the contract with them!!

·
Administrator
15,816 Posts
I signed on with Air Touch in 1994 and it eventually merged into what is now Verizon around 1999. So basically have been with the same network for 17 years. Have 5 phones on the plan, 2 of them smart phones and they all work great 99.9% of the time. In some areas around the local mountains the signal gets weak and occasionally drops a call.

·
Premium Member
3,600 Posts
I have had TMobile for some years, I guess about 12. I have to travel around the world from time to time and they have been really good except of course in places like Japan and Korea.

The service has been excellent. They called me for four months leaving messages on my home phone and I thought it was to sell me something. When I finally did talk to them they told me they we calling with an offer to drop my bill by $50 per month! I took the offer.

I have been on and off contract with them. Right now I have a contract that includes my Blackberry and all of it's services, UMA, Hotspots, email, Web, SMS, my daughters Blackberry (my old one) with most of the same services I have, my wifes phone, but no email or internet (she doesn't want it) and my mother in laws phone, again no email or web. Most of the phones are high minutes per month or unlimited (like my daughters and myself) with unlimited data too.

About $300 per month.

Ron

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
I like straight talk. It uses the Verizon network and only cost $30 a month for text, minutes, and web. No Contract.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
My fathers Verizon bill was $89 per month, when the contract was up we got him a tracfone, nice if you don't like a monthly bill
http://www.tracfone.com/

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Verizon here for many years. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
734 Posts
I've had T-Mobile, Sprint, Cingular (now AT&T) and finally Verizon. I had the best reception with both Sprint and Verizon.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
My house is in a "dead" zone for AT&T and Sprint. Verizon is fine. We go out to New Mexico a lot and all the Real Estate agents have Verizon. However, if you travel outside the US it is useless. Check with your local Real Estate agents and see what they use.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
who ever you get, make them show you their coverage map, see if your in it or not

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I've had Verizon forever. Coverage is mainly good except at my house. I just can't take all their fees and such anymore.

I have a few friends with Metro PCS and their basic plan is $40/mo and no contracts. I'm going to them ASAP.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
However, if you travel outside the US it is useless.
My Verizon is a Motorola "World Edition" phone with an open SIM. I bought a SIM card from a company based in Great Britian that I always use when out of the country. Calls are charged by the minute at a VERY cheap rate and there are no service charges. The useage is then charged to my credit card number on file.
Works perfect!

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,600 Posts
My Verizon is a Motorola "World Edition" phone with an open SIM. I bought a SIM card from a company based in Great Britian that I always use when out of the country. Calls are charged by the minute at a VERY cheap rate and there are no service charges. The useage is then charged to my credit card number on file.
Works perfect!
Do you get a UK or American phone number when your out of the US?>

Ron

·
Gold Founding Member
10,972 Posts
My fathers Verizon bill was $89 per month, when the contract was up we got him a tracfone, nice if you don't like a monthly bill
http://www.tracfone.com/
I pay just over a hundred dollars a year. Most years, I can't use all the minutes that buys. (about 600)

Tracfone rocks.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,278 Posts
I pay just over a hundred dollars a year. Most years, I can't use all the minutes that buys. (about 600)

Tracfone rocks.
X2.

I wish you had a choice of buying days or minutes. I hardly use the thing and the minutes build up, while I keep running out of days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts