Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I need your opinions on a car I am about to try to sell. Please dont raz me too much as it is a Camaro not a Chevelle. If you have time to look at it click here members.thebee.net/bkoustenis/greenz.html and let me hear your opinions on a value for this car. Try to base it on what you have actually seen sold or purchased. I am going to put it on the market soon and I do not want to under price it, but I also do not want to scare anyone away. Let me know what you think, I would prefer e-mail but a post here is ok also. Thanks in advance

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 03-03-99).]

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Bill -

I've always got an opinion when it comes to selling prices, so I'll put in my 2 cents. Obviously the biggest thing going for the car other than its a Z-28 is the low mileage and originality. I'm wondering how much of an effect the Maryland winters have had on the car, though. Do you guys salt the roads there? How clean is the car underneath? It looks like salt has gotten after some of the things under the hood. After driving rusty cars for 17 years and then moving to the west coast, I have a personal bias against salted cars.

I'm always one for color, too, and the white/green combination hurts the car a little in my opinion. Nevertheless, I'd put the car somewhere in the $5K-$6K range. That's figuring how much $$ and work someone would have to put into it to make it a really nice driver that you could take to shows. Even with the low mileage, the car still looks like it needs alot of detail work. And although one-owner cars are pretty uncommon back east, they're still to be found in the western states.

Good luck with the sale!

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Man, I thought the green/white actually looked COOL! As for cost, I'd think 6-7k.

·
Registered
12,948 Posts
Bill,
Are you SURE it is a 73? I thought 73s came with a 5mph front bumper and that does not look like a 5mph front bumper. It looks more like 71-72. Although I do see the EGR valve, which came out in 73. Right? I'm confused.

------------------

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bill,
After looking at the car, I can give you what I feel to be a fair price for New York. You definitely have a clean, origonal, low mielage car. The interior seems clean and I am assuming that it is solid underneath and that it would pass a rust test. I am also assuming that all the little things work and that the exhaust doesnt leak and that it doesn't drip fluids. While I am not too fond of the color scheme, the excellent condition of the car makes the color negligable.

I would pay approx. $7,500-$8,500 (depending on the severity of the scratch) for the car. Maybe more if the origonal rims and/or tires come with it. If it's in really nice shape, maybe, MAYBE $9000. But it'd have to be in cherry shape. Cars this origonal and clean are becoming rare here in the rust belt.

[This message has been edited by skunkynuggets (edited 03-04-99).]

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Well, its clear that geography is going to be a factor with the value of the car, Bill. As far as condition, is this car closer to a #3 or a #2? I can't see this being a #2 without at least having a repaint, the upholstery repaired, and the engine detailed. OCPG has a #3 at $5600 and a #2 at $9800.

I think given your area of the country you could probably pull more than the car is actually worth. I'll still stick by my original figures as a fair price for someone to pay for the car. Start a little higher and see what happens. You might get lucky. And let us know what it goes for!

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys,
Thanks for the opinions. DZ, the car is a 73, that was the last year Camaros came with the chrome bumpers, 74 started rubber. The car was probably driven a little in the winter the first year or so but after that my brother always had a company car so the Camaro was never driven in harsh weather. It has been garage kept since new. The underside is basically rust free. I think I have a line on a set of the original wheels. I am open to offers by the way. I am goint to try putting the car on e-bay and see what happens and the next step will be to take it to spring Carlisle. Thanks again guys, the opinions were all right around the prices I was thinking about.
BillK

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know if this helps or not, but I sold my '78 Trans Am, T/A 6.6, 4spd 28,000 original miles (I bought it new), for $8,000 in Wisconsin last year. I believe the $5K to $6K to be a good range to expect.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I think if you put a set of original wheels on the car you'll have a better chance of seeing the price you're looking for. In my opinion, the Cragar SST's are a tip-off that the car might have been hot-rodded. Also the green doesn't look bad but overall, the car needs detail work. Out here on the West Coast I would say 5k would be a reasonable figure but that's a supply and demand thing.

·
Gold Founding Member
5,803 Posts
Hey Bill, nice car. It looks to me like a very complete car that pretty much needs a complete restoration, although it would be a pretty easy one. But it would only take a few dollars to make it much more presentable, like repairing the seat and putting original type wheels on it and a little engine compartment detailing.
To me that is a very desirable car and judgeing from what I see here in TN about $6500-7500 is what I would say is reasonable to expect for it the way it is, Although if you were to take it to Hershey or Carlisle you may get more for it.
Ron.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Bill; I pretty much agree with all the above. Car does have trememdous potential. Green is fairly popular color these days, not so much in years past. The original wheels would have small Chevy emblems in the center caps, not Z28 emblems which are more common. Also a set of stock exhaust manifolds and the original air cleaner would increase value quite a bit, at least to me. I get the feeling that you are pretty busy and don't have the time or inclination to get into it. As is I'd say the 5 to 7000 dollar range is about right. You could spend a couple thousand on the car and get a couple thousand more out of it, which is usually the case. Interesting car though. tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with wheels68. There are many nice cars on the West Coast which haven't had the speckeling of rust spots from salt. I would expect to get $5000 from a West Coast buyer. Of coarse I would be asking around $6500. Being from Detroit originally I know how the climate can deteriorate. It is definitely a worhwhile buy for the restorer.

E

·
0 Posts
You want to sell this car?!!....REALLY?! Personally, the Green and white looks way cool, and I would say at least $6,000-7,500 for it. Wish I could get it, but oh well... It's a very nice looking car, seems in good condition.

------------------

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.