Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I apologize if this turns out to be a bit long, but I could really use your input. I recently came into a good deal with a friend of mine who is selling his blazer. We found a guy who wants this blazer bad and is willing to trade us his th350 transmission, some parts, and a built 327 for the blazer and $500. My buddy said if I paid $250 of the $500 I could have the 327. Now the 327 is fresh and has never even been run b4 which believable by its appearence. According to the guy he had a local shop build it here are the specs:
69 327 block
Steel Crank 5.7" Pink Rods with ARP bolts
10:1 compression with hyperuetectic pistons
lt1 accessory hole camel hump heads with isky springs and 2.02 1.60 valves.
and a huge cam like [email protected]
holley intake and carb.
Claimed 350-375hp

My current motor is a goodwrench 350 with a 266/272 trickflow cam, headers, 300-36 holley intake and all that jazz. Its cool but I'm look for more top end with the 4speed. Now my question is do you think it would be worth while to swap the 350 for the 327.
I mean I'll change the cam for sure (something like 274h06 comes to mind or 280 magnum). This will be going into a 68 chevelle which was originally a 327 car any way, but now has a 350, muncie m20 and 3.36 gears. What you guy's think? Are 327's good motors? I heard they rev pretty good. Now keep in mind I'm young but I love old school stuff and would rather tell people I had a revving 327 than a bread and butter 350, I'm even polishing an old set of m/t valve covers to give it that nostalgia look. So honest will a 327 really perform?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Here is the problem i see .. there are a few crappy machine shops here and anything they touch will not last long ...
Old boring machines . setting guide clearance by feel . super rough cylinder walls ..and red rag lint through out the entire engine ..wd40 for assembly lube ..

if you heard good things about the shop ..and witnessed first hand ..then sure...

Or if you buy it and dismantle it and reassemble..with careful inspection and measuring ...buy it

That price is cheap if the heads were done right ..just for the heads alone.
You will have camshaft break in procedures to follow.. read up on it

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Brandon,

Of couse a 327 will make good power. Check with Curey8788, BigRed, SSchevellefan or Wolfplace, anybody that has built or ran a 327.

Compression is good, you would need to run 4.10 gears probally, its hard to guess without knowing the cam specs other than 242 @.050"

Here is our launch photo from last year with a 327

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Here's my take on it.

If it still has factory stampings on it and it belongs to a Corvette, it's worth money. Actually, it's worth more in the sum of the parts.

The 69 327 blocks most of time have the same casting # as a Z-28 block. Cha-ching!

What head castings #'s do you have? 462? 462 X ?

New cam, pink rods, pistons, steel crank ?

You might get about $1200 on e-bay for everything.

·
Banned
9,472 Posts
Is your 350 stock? Yes 327`s run good if built correctly. Acc hole camels are either 186 or 492 castings. They all pretty much flow the same stock. Being that it`s a large journal you need to make sure someone didn`t add a 350 crank at some point. The cam is a little big unless you had more gear,compression and a little head work. If you plan to stick with your current gears then the 274HO6 would be my choice from the 2 you listed. Your going to want to runa cam that will help low to mid rpm torque. The voodoo 268 would be a decent cam too.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea my 350 is stock goodwrench with a cam, but it only has like 8:1 Compression. This 327 seems to have better parts in the rotating assembly as well. I'm unsure of the casting number on the heads, but I do know that they 2.02 1.60 valves. This is for my daily driver so I'm not looking for a powerhouse, but 350-375hp would be nice. Would those heads work well on my current 350?

·
Banned
9,472 Posts
yeah you can put the heads on your 350 and it would probably make more power than the 327 depending on what cam you have in there. It would bump your compression up to 9-9.5:1 depending on deck height and gasket thickness and actual cylinder head cc`s.

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
If its -492 castings they came on 302/327/350 engines, very good head that is still available from GM today. The -492's i think the casting was, came with screw in studs and guide plates from GM as they were a high performance design for 302/327/350 which those engine saw some 6,000-6,500rpm blasts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
personally I'd stick with the 350, parts are easier, and there's no replacement for displacment. my sisters car had a 327 in it (1971 heavy chevy malibu) and it ran 13.5's all day long. Big thing with small journal motors is they need rpm and to get them there you need a big stall or 4 speed and some big gears like 4.11's or 4:56's anyway you go have fun

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
If that is a 69 block, then it is a large journal. I would be curious that it wouldn't be a 350.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
250 bucks for a complete 327 in ANY TYPE OF SHAPE AT ALL is a great deal. take it. how do you KNOW they are 2.02s without measuring the valves? find out the casting number on the heads though. i would gobble that motor up in a heartbeat and tear it down to check everything out.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea Mike thats how I feel about it. I can't pass up a 327 this cheap. I seem to get differing opinions on whether to run a 350 or the 327, but I understand that it completely depends on the setup. I think I'll buy it and tear it down, and check to see if it is really brand new and as all the parts the seller says. If it does I'm gonna run it, cause I just have to know what a 10:1 compression 327 sounds like. Otherwise I'll probably swap the heads on my to my 350 and run a bigger cam I guess. Would the 327 do ok with 3.36 gears?

·
Banned
9,472 Posts
Yea Mike thats how I feel about it. I can't pass up a 327 this cheap. I seem to get differing opinions on whether to run a 350 or the 327, but I understand that it completely depends on the setup. I think I'll buy it and tear it down, and check to see if it is really brand new and as all the parts the seller says. If it does I'm gonna run it, cause I just have to know what a 10:1 compression 327 sounds like. Otherwise I'll probably swap the heads on my to my 350 and run a bigger cam I guess. Would the 327 do ok with 3.36 gears?
I did`nt realize we were in the same area. If you need a a hand with anything let me know. 327`s are great motors. They are my favorite engine to build. My last one ran low 12`s in a 65 chevelle and was a pump gas dailey driver at one point. your 3.36 gears are going to hurt the performance but I ran 13 flat with 3.08`s and slicks so it`s possible. I think if you do the math you`ll be closer to 9.5:1 but there is still plenty of performance to be had. Ifyou really want a 327 in your car then don`t let anyone tell you what to do. They tried to tell me and I didn`t listen years ago. You`ll have fun with it but you really should think about a little smaller cam.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well thanks for your input guys I really appreciate it. That 68 velle sounds really good, love that idle. Ok so I picked up the 327 last night and looks super clean. Arp bolts everywhere, brand new water pump, powersteering pump, and alternator, with pulleys. Pretty sweet, when I got it home I started freaking out cause only one head had camel humps, how I could I miss this? So I checked the numbers and here's what I got. One head is 3927186 with humps and the other is 3947041(no humps). Mortec says there both good heads and have the same chamber 64cc and where used on the same application 302/350. So is it cool to run two different castings? The only other physical difference I can see is that the 041 head has screw-in studs which look factory. Both heads are super clean (look brans new). The block casting number is 3970010, which could be a number of things. A haven't started to tear it down yet but I let you know what I find when i do. So far it looks like I scored big time for $250. The dude I bought it from was cool too, even gave me my choice of a brand new edelbrock chrome air cleaner or a Moroso air cleaner. Of course I went with Moroso, way better. As far as the cam specs are concerned this is all i know:
443/443 @ .050 with .510/.510 lift on a 110 lsa. What cam do you guys recomend? Well any input is much appreciated, thanks -Brandon

·
Banned
9,472 Posts
Well thanks for your input guys I really appreciate it. That 68 velle sounds really good, love that idle. Ok so I picked up the 327 last night and looks super clean. Arp bolts everywhere, brand new water pump, powersteering pump, and alternator, with pulleys. Pretty sweet, when I got it home I started freaking out cause only one head had camel humps, how I could I miss this? So I checked the numbers and here's what I got. One head is 3927186 with humps and the other is 3947041(no humps). Mortec says there both good heads and have the same chamber 64cc and where used on the same application 302/350. So is it cool to run two different castings? The only other physical difference I can see is that the 041 head has screw-in studs which look factory. Both heads are super clean (look brans new). The block casting number is 3970010, which could be a number of things. A haven't started to tear it down yet but I let you know what I find when i do. So far it looks like I scored big time for $250. The dude I bought it from was cool too, even gave me my choice of a brand new edelbrock chrome air cleaner or a Moroso air cleaner. Of course I went with Moroso, way better. As far as the cam specs are concerned this is all i know:
443/443 @ .050 with .510/.510 lift on a 110 lsa. What cam do you guys recomend? Well any input is much appreciated, thanks -Brandon

Yeah those heads are pretty much the same so you`ll be fine. The block number is the same one for 350`s and 302`s so double check your crank numbers and see if there are any numbers on the pistons if you pull the heads. I`m guessing you mean [email protected] and not [email protected] but I would look into something a little smaller just because of your gears unless you plan to run some deeper gears later. I think there was a guy on here that has a 68 also and he use to run a flat top 327 with home ported heads and a comp 280 magnum and 3000 stall and 4.11 gears and ran low 13`s. I would look into a cam with low to mid 230`s @ .050 and I`ve heard pretty good things about the Comp 282S solid cam.

G

·
Make sure and get the little jewel up to like 9.75 to 10 to 1 CR. using .015" or .020" shims, install the old 300-36 intake on it, install an Isky Z-20, or a CC 270S, or Crower's little solid lifter cam and make sure you have at least Z-28 valve springs and run 1.625" dia, 4-tube, long headers and go!!

Drive her outta the hole and once she hit's like 25 to 3,000 rpm, nail her AND hold-on!!!

She will rpm as high as you have nerve enough to hold her down!!

You will love it!!

He, He!!!

I love ALL of these 265, 283, 301/302, 307 and 327 engines!! Short-stroke suckers are a REAL HOOT by me!!

That's why I suggest a solid lifter cam so it can RPM!!

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.