Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The alternator on the car now is a 1 -wire, and it doesn't seem to be putting out enough voltage (13v at the most at the alt. terminal). I'm thinkin about replacing it. I've heard of 2 different kinds of internally regulated alternators, 1-wire and 3-wire. What's the difference between the two? Which one would be a better one to use? I don't mind having to rewire something if the 3-wire is better than the 1-wire. Also, is there any particular brand that could be recommmended? Thanks in advance for any help.

------------------
Patrick M
My Website
1972 Chevelle Malibu

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Patrick...I had my 3 wire converted to a one wire at the end of last summer for the same reason as you are doing...I got tired of going back to Advance Auto and returning them, so I took it to an electrical shop that rebuilds them. For 23.00, they put in a new regulator and made it a one wire unit, and it took only about 15 mins. It has been working great ever since, putting out like crazy and no problems. If I were you, I would stick with the one wire, if only for the ease of hookup, and I personally think it looks a little neater with fewer wires around. Try calling a shop near you and see what they tell you. It's probably worth a phone call. John

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL YOU CHEVELLE OWNERS

regarding the 1-wire. Its the only wasy to go. you can purchase single wire alternators with more output. Some are expensive-chromed, etc.
You don't want to use one that puts out to much voltage=cooked battery.If you operate all types of electrical goodies in your car-than upgrade to more voltage.

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
I had to replace my std. 62amp unit due to the extra goodies (electric doors, windows, stereo, power antenna, elec fuel pump, etc.) and went with a 1-wire 100amp unit from ProForm. Voltmeter reads from 13.7 to 14.2 depending on what accessories are running.

One-wire vs. three-wire isn't so much the problem it sounds like you have as it is not a big enough alternator - although the one-wire is cleaner

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS & 67 Elky
Dale's Place
Team 67
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I think I'm going to use a 100amp 1-wire alternator. Thanks for the input on the subject. Just another quick question: I'm doing mostly custom wiring in the Chevelle, and I need to setup a good junction block for the electrical system. Any suggestions? Thanks

------------------
Patrick M
My Website
1972 Chevelle Malibu

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.