Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been some recent posts here about various mufflers, and it started me to thinking about what I want for my car. I've got a 350ci stroked to 383ci, running 1 3/4" long style headers connected to a flowmaster system. It gives a mellow, deep sound that some probably like, but I'm looking for that old fashioned hollow/throaty sound at idle. Do I have too much muffler in a 3-chamber flowmaster system ? What can I switch to without giving up the look of the GM chrome tips in back, and still get some more sound ?

------------------
1970 Chevelle Convertible

·
Registered
48 Posts
FlowMaster 50 = 3 chamber (deep)
FlowMaster 70 = 3 chamber (quietest)
FlowMaster 40 = 2 chamber (the deepest)

I hope this helps. Remember, the bigger the pipe, the more the sound

------------------
1989 Chevy Suburban/454tbi/2500/4x2/3:42;G80/F&R a-c/K&N air filter/180* Thermo Stat/70 Series FlowMaster; 3" pipe/10city;13 highway

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
The Dynomax are probably going to be closer to what you want. They have a deeper tone to them. You can use the Super Turbo mufflers in the Flowmaster system, and maybe sell the Flowmaster mufflers for a few bucks to offset some of the cost. I'm not sure about your question regarding the tips. They shouldn't be affected by the mufflers, as long as you intend to use the pipes you already have, and just swap mufflers.

------------------
Steve B.

69 Malibu ZZ4-350
79 Trans Am WS6
93 Camaro Z/28
01 Silverado LT Z/71
Chevelle pics

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

·
Registered
714 Posts
As I have indicated in the past, sound is not only the function of the muffler but the motor pushing the exhaust (i.e. compression ratio) size of primaries (headers or manifolds), size of exhaust itself (2", 2.5", 3", etc).

On my 67SS, I have Magnaflow Stainless Mufflers (about 14" long and not sure about the part number as they were installed at a custom exhaust shop) with 2" primaries on my headers into 3" pipes and 2.5" tails. My motor is a stock 396/350HP. The sound of my exhaust is very deep and throaty at idle and cruise speeds and cracks loud at WOT.
It is a very different sound than Flowmaster and kin of unique.

Here's the link: http://www.magnaflow.com/03oo.htm

At the time I put these on my car over 2 years ago, these could only be purchased through muffler shops but their marketing strategy may have changed since

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

[This message has been edited by Mytmouse (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
56 Posts
i know exactly what your talkin about. and i have no clue eather. it is a sound that pops outta the tube rather than rolling out right? its more like the muff is hollow. and at idle it kinda goes "plink plink plink plink plink", is that what your lookin for? thats what i am to but i dont know what kinda system to get for that sound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.