Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, how did you upgrade your bypass hose? I want it to look better than stock but Earls fittings wont fit (ironic). How did you create your bypass so it looks decent? Is it completely necessary or could I just block off the ports?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Same here.....easy quick fix and it looks alot better. Robert Shaw sells a premade thermostat as well. Can be found on Summit.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Because the he bypass hoses on a long water pump are sort of an "S" shape, they are a real bitch to find & fit. I don't use the bypasses on any of my big blocks (I just blocked the ports) and haven't had any issues with that. In order to still allow bypass without the hose just make sure to use a thermostat with 2 or 3 (3/16) holes drilled in it. Now, even a lot of the thermostats you can buy come with the holes predrilled.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Just so I am clear, does this picture have the 'holes' in the correct places? I just downloaded it and used paintbrush to show what my understanding of the placement is.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
There are some places that sell the molded one, I just found a bypass hose at the parts house with similar bends and cut it to size for mine.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Curious, why eliminate the bypass hose? Why not just get the correct hose for a couple of dollars? What is the benefit of not having it I guess is what I am asking. Solely an appearance factor?

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Curious, why eliminate the bypass hose? Why not just get the correct hose for a couple of dollars? What is the benefit of not having it I guess is what I am asking. Solely an appearance factor?
I used the front port on the intake for my t'stat switch for the electric fans.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, pretty much appearence factor for me. I did find a 45deg nipple for $14 that might match up to the water pump but I already have the block off plugs and frankly the extra hose just looks less appealing to me. As long as I can get the motor to function properly without it, thats what I will do.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you have a short water pump the bypass hose is a 90 deg fit and easier to find. If you have a long water pump the bypass hose is an "S" shape. Hard to find and lot harder to fit. If you have an aftermarket intake that bypass hole might even be located higher up which makes hose fit even more difficult.

A few years ago I had one of those metal corrugated "CoolFlex" bypass hoses. It had been on the car for over a year with no problems. One morning, waiting in line to register for a car show I noticed the front windshield fogging up. Didn't give it much thought. When I finally got to my spot & opened the hood - SHOCK. The metal hose had a pinhole leak right in front aimed right at the fan. Well, with the engine running & the cooling system under pressure the fan just sprayed the coolant everywhere. Ruined my day and any shot at a trophy. Also ruined the finish on my new brake booster.

No hose = no leaks!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I fought mine all summer. The temp would go crazy and swing wildly from 190-240 and then settle down until next cycle. Sometimes it would blow water past the cap when the stat opened. I bought a new gauge and that's when I realized it was really steaming without a bypass. The holes in tstat did not help. Finally added a bypass and problem gone. I will never skip that again.

·
Registered
18,904 Posts
if you have the heater core hooked up and if there isn't a water shutoff valve inline, then that can be your bypass..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found that the Eddy intake skews the bypass hose outlet, which makes for an odd bend to the water pump, even when using the correct bypass hose.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Guys, I don't understand why you would want to remove that function. The bypass hose lets the coolant circulate through the block while the engine is warming up (bringing everything up to temp at the same rate), which should be beneficial for engine life. Drilling holes in the thermostat to allow cold coolant to flow while the engine is trying to warm up seems foolish to me. Also, the bypass flow into the water pump should also slightly reduce the thermal shock to the block when the thermostat opens and allows the cold water from the radiator to first flow into the hot block.

·
Registered
18,904 Posts
Guys, I don't understand why you would want to remove that function. The bypass hose lets the coolant circulate through the block while the engine is warming up (bringing everything up to temp at the same rate), which should be beneficial for engine life. Drilling holes in the thermostat to allow cold coolant to flow while the engine is trying to warm up seems foolish to me. Also, the bypass flow into the water pump should also slightly reduce the thermal shock to the block when the thermostat opens and allows the cold water from the radiator to first flow into the hot block.
the amount of coolant that will flow thru a few tiny holes in the thermostat is small enough to be irrelevant when you look at the overall capacity of the cooling system- it will definitely be much less than the amount of water that is flowing thru the heater core at any given time, and i'm sure you don't have a problem with cranking up the fan on the heater to pull some heat out of the coolant and get some warm air inside the car before the engine is totally up to temp..

·
Registered
459 Posts
I use a 45 and straight fitting along with shrink clamps cut in half. Works great. I had problems with air pockets without the bypass. 3500 miles later, no problems.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts