Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've almost got my '76 corvette back together but I need some help.
There is a heavy duty black cable coming from the rear of the car in the center by the starter. What does it bolt to?

There are 3 wires bundled together goin to the starter. Not counting the ignition wire it is seprate. I know the red one goes to the hot part on the starter but where do the other 2 go?

Does this car need or have a ground cable goin from the motor to the frame?

The belt on the alternator is hiting the power steering pump while both are tight. Think I have one bracket spaced wrong or something?

There is some kind of cable coming from inside the car out right by the steering colum. I have the throttle and shifter brackets on already so I know its not that. Its pointed toward the ground and is not a inch from where the steering colum meets the firewall. Know what it is?

I'm sorry if some of these questions are stupid to you but its been over 6 months since I pulled the motor out and my first time to in this car so I can't remember everything.. Next time I will take pictures of it all!!!!
Thanks for the help guys!!
Jamie

·
Registered
11,851 Posts
Sorry, the only vette I did was a 68 and that was about 6 years ago. Maybe if you posted some pictures it could be figured out.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Hey, I've almost got my '76 corvette back together but I need some help.
There is a heavy duty black cable coming from the rear of the car in the center by the starter. What does it bolt to? This is the positive battery cable going to the big lug on the starter.

There are 3 wires bundled together goin to the starter. Not counting the ignition wire it is seprate. I know the red one goes to the hot part on the starter but where do the other 2 go? The little purple wire is the ignition wire, it connects on the small terminal on the solenoid on the header side of the starter. There will also be a yellow wire that goes to the coil, that connects to the small terminal on the block side of the solenoid. That provides a full 12v cranking power to the coil for starting before it switches to 8-9v from the ballast wire or resistor. This is assuming you are running a stock starter.

Does this car need or have a ground cable goin from the motor to the frame?There is a ground cable from the battery neg to the frame at the rear of the car, then there is a ground cable connecting under the right motor mount and loops under and bolts to the frame. There is also a stainless ground strap that bolts from the rh frame to the starter mounting bolts. All of these grounds need to be cleaned and in place.

The belt on the alternator is hiting the power steering pump while both are tight. Think I have one bracket spaced wrong or something?Can't help you here without pics.

There is some kind of cable coming from inside the car out right by the steering colum. I have the throttle and shifter brackets on already so I know its not that. Its pointed toward the ground and is not a inch from where the steering colum meets the firewall. Know what it is?This cable goes from the steering column to the bracket on the tranny that the shifter cable bolts to. This locks the transmission in park until the key is put in the ignition and unlocks the column, releasing the tranny....This is not necessarily "needed" but.....if its there...hook it up.

I'm sorry if some of these questions are stupid to you but its been over 6 months since I pulled the motor out and my first time to in this car so I can't remember everything.. Next time I will take pictures of it all!!!!
Thanks for the help guys!!
Jamie

See all info in red.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man that helps a lot!!
I am running a stock starter but it has 4 wires down there. A red wire, a black wire and another wire that I can't tell what color it is but all have a large termanial connector on them. The 4th wire is the purple wire you mentioned but it is seprate from the other three. It has a small termanial connector so I'm sure its the ignition wire. Not to say your wrong but on my chevelle the ignition wire went on the terminal on the block side. Is it just oposite on the vette or what?
I don't know how to post pics on here. Is there suppose to be any spacers between where the two power steering brackets bolt together to the block? I've got a washer between them so I think that might be the problem. Also on the alternator does it just have the one bracket that bolts to the head just below the valve cover on the front of the motor and the arm that bolts to the water pump or is there another one?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Look at your terminals on the solenoid, they are usually marked..."S" and "R". I may be backwords as to which one is the block side...here is what you need though:

Purple wire(ignition)= "S" terminal
Yellow wire(coil + or ballast resistor +)= "R" terminal(if you have Points dist. If you are running HEI or MSD, don't hook this wire to anything.)
Thick red wire(main power to horn relay)= "B" terminal, this is the big lug the + bat cable hooks to.

There should be a black wire down there with a BIG loop on it. That is a ground wire that goes to the wiper motor. The starter bolt goes through this, or you can ground it to the solenoid bolt that attaches the solenoid to the starter...I would use the starter bolt as intended though.

Can't help you on your bracket problem. Mine is a BB. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Where else but team chevelle can you get this kind of help?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
Documenting those things are you disassemble is a good idea. Especially if you aren't in that trade. Even then, if you are in that trade, you never know what all was done to that car. Wiring is a nightmare and is very confusing, even to electricians, many applications. All you can do is ask questions in a forum or find someone to do the work for you. You may find out that you will have to redo everything or just certain areas, if you find problems in sorting out where to get your wires all back to where they need to be. Also, what's there may have problems or need to be replaced or you dont like the way that it was wired.

Made a mod will move this to electrical forum.

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
I wonder why it was dug up? Just caught my eye so I responded.

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
They have that. People been trying bring back their threads as work their cars and they cant. This site changed a while back and apparently that caused those issues. That change caused alot of uproar. Lots of people have already left.

·
Super Moderator
13,143 Posts
It seems like when they changed the site format there are always a bunch of old threads at the top and that is what people are seeing and clicking on. I wish we could make the ones at the top a different color or something so people would realize they were old.

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
It seems like when they changed the site format there are always a bunch of old threads at the top and that is what people are seeing and clicking on. I wish we could make the ones at the top a different color or something so people would realize they were old.
All those stickies use to be in a tech reference area. Then they put them in each forum. There is a gap between, what they call stickies and the threads. You can't tell where the gap is hardly.

All threads that have replied to when one visits the site again are bold blue.

That's all I know.

·
Super Moderator
13,143 Posts
All those stickies use to be in a tech reference area. Then they put them in each forum. There is a gap between, what they call stickies and the threads. You can't tell where the gap is hardly.

All threads that have replied to when one visits the site again are bold blue.

That's all I know.
Another site that I visit frequently and uses the same format has the stickies in italics. I guess I will suggest that here and see if can be done.

After thinking about it though I think the old threads that are popping up are from the "recommended reading" at the bottom. And guys are just not paying attention to the dates. If you scroll down you will see them all.

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
Another site that I visit frequently and uses the same format has the stickies in italics. I guess I will suggest that here and see if can be done.

After thinking about it though I think the old threads that are popping up are from the "recommended reading" at the bottom. And guys are just not paying attention to the dates. If you scroll down you will see them all.

That is a good idea. I have used italics before in things I have prepared.

I dont know about the second part. Maybe, I dont notice that. I don't have enough time to devote to that, unless Im sitting and looking for something I need to know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts