Chevelles.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I bought the first new parts for the Chevelle in 2 years, and I'm really upset. I bought a March Serpentine conversation kit, new later model alt, and new Saginaw PS pump. I got the whole kit installed but the PS pump. I tried to install the pump and it is lying on top of the power steering box. Has anyone run into this issue? I'm not sure if summit will take the kit back since I already bolted almost everything on the car. BTW the kit is MCH-23050. and I have a 68, with a 454.
Thanks All
Dan

·
Premium Member
27,718 Posts
That kit is for a LONG waterpump. Do you have a LWP in your '68?

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it has a long pump. Thanks for the link Jon. I’m relieved to see there is a kit for the PS pump, since I already have the rest of the kit on the car. Sucks that I’m going to have to spend more money to fix though. I should have done some more research before I started buying stuff. Thanks for the replies all, I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Worst case, I'll buy the other kit and sell the one I have. I'm sure someone could use it. I'm not a member of Tri State Chevelle. I have recently checked out their site. I'm gonna have to check them out.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI. I called March and they sold me the bracket kit separately. I finally got it on yesterday, and it fits perfectly. I'll just eBay the other kit i'm sure someone can use it. Thanks for the advice all. Now I just need some warm weather, and a sunny day.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Dan

If you have a minute, please tell us what kit number you should have purchased as per March. Did you find that out? We know the 23030 was wrong.

A lot of people are running into this clearance issue and this info would help a lot:thumbsup:

As far as I can tell the p/s pump hitting the p/s box is with the SHORT water pumps. But you had a long pump and stlll hit.:confused:

Thanks (glad to see ya back after your 2 year long):D

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the delay. Below is a photo of the kit installed. Its working perfect. The correct kit would have been the MCH-23053. The engine in the car is a 454 with a long pump. Due to my lack of research I had to order the following components separately: Power Steering brackets - MCH-20151, power steering pulley - MCH-625, and the crank pulley - MCH-7341. Hopefully my mistake will help some others avoid it.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
This is an old thread but I wanted to add something. DRLs68 says correct March pulley kit to buy for 68 (and I myself think 68-72) 454 long pump is the 23053 to clear power steering pump, which is true. But that kit drops the alternator to a lower position than the standard position (stock position) shown in his picture, just for your info if you run into this thread on search. These March kits are very tricky, got to do your homework

1 - 14 of 14 Posts