Chevelles.com banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I will have to second using Pro systems. I have a 496 with very close to the same specs as yours. I fought with a 950 HP for a year and finally gave up and call pro systems. Patrick will build you that you will like and you get the best support in the industry.
I did reach out to Patrick and heard back. A lot of support for his builds it appears.

As for the guys who are asking about EFI or have went to EFI, I am trying to determine if I went that route with a Holley Super Sniper system...whether the 4 Injectors (up to 650 HP) is the route to go, or should I be looking at the 8 injectors setup (Up to 1250 HP) given my current specs?

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
As for the guys who are asking about EFI or have went to EFI, I am trying to determine if I went that route with a Holley Super Sniper system...whether the 4 Injectors (up to 650 HP) is the route to go, or should I be looking at the 8 injectors setup (Up to 1250 HP) given my current specs?
I'll definitely go with the Holley Sniper 1,250 hp 8 injector throttle body for my car. My engine already made 700 hp on the dyno and I'd rather be safe and have peace of mind knowing that the engine will not go lean because the throttle body's capacity was not enough…

Claude.:)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
AED
Your combo should street drive well with your current carb. Going larger will increase full throttle but how often do you run full throttle through the 1/8 or 1/4 mile. I think a good 850 will give you what you want without being overkill for your usage.

·
Registered
13,791 Posts
From what I understand the 950 XP needs some work, poor Venturi/throttle bore combo.

Mark makes a sweet 1050 with annular boosters. That’s what I would look at.
From my experience, its most custom carbs that need some kind of work. Sure, in some cases they can make a little more power (maybe), but do they run smoothly and cleanly from idle through the transitions and WOT? That's what you need to watch out for.

A LOT of hype out there with carbs...like anything else.

·
Registered
761 Posts
From my experience, its most custom carbs that need some kind of work. Sure, in some cases they can make a little more power (maybe), but do they run smoothly and cleanly from idle through the transitions and WOT? That's what you need to watch out for.

A LOT of hype out there with carbs...like anything else.
That depends on where you get one from. Service after the sale is most important, lacking from a few companies. On the other side shelf calibrations on some of the newer stuff is way off for street cars. And the idle/transition metering is EXTREMELY important, even in a drag car that spends most of it's time going idle to WOT.

For the new engine keep what you have if it runs good, tune it to suit your new engine. Unless you spend a lot of time racing the carb you have will work fine, respond quicker and cleaner to throttle changes at low speeds. Spend your money on an O2 sensor system, it can be a big asset to dial your carb in.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,957 Posts
Mark knows whereof he speaks. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy a carb from him. His stuff is the best of the best. He's right about the WBO2 sensor deal. Good thing to have.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts