Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First question: I have a 69 chevelle with a a 454, new alt. new external regulator. I notice that my headlights and dash lights are somewhat dim at idle. When I rev the engine everything brightens up. I checked the alt. charging circuit. Over 14v engine on. 12 v. engine off. Regulator and alt brown and blue wires reading approx 10-11v. I notice that when the engine is on the blue wire from alt reads about 4-5v. is this normal?

Second question: I have a floor shift console, car used to be column shift. Reverse lights don't work,and car starts in drive. I know that the neutral safety switch is on the column. How do I activate the reverse lights from the floor shifter and how should i wire the neutral safety switch from the floor console.

Sorry for the long post.

FMSS4

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
"I notice that when the engine is on the blue wire from alt reads about 4-5v. is this normal?"

I'll try the first question. Something doesn't sound quite right. Try looking at it this way and see what you get.

Troubleshooting the GEN light problem.
1, Remove the plug from the regulator.
2, Turn the ignition key to the ON position.
3, Measure the regulator connector brown wire to a good ground. You should have around 12 volts.
4, If (3) is around 12 volts, switch the key to OFF.
5, Install the regulator connector.
6, Remove the plug from the alternator.
7, Turn the ignition key to the ON position.
8, Measure the alternator connector blue wire to a good ground. You should have around 12 volts.
9, If (8) is around 12 volts, switch the key to OFF.
10, Install the alternator connector and start the engine.
11, Again measure the alternator connector blue wire to a good ground. You should have around 12+ volts.
Post back the results.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,798 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fmss4:
How do I activate the reverse lights from the floor shifter and how should i wire the neutral safety switch from the floor console.

Sorry for the long post.

FMSS4
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have to go out and look at my 69 to refresh my memory but I think the same column switch for the neutral safety and back up lights is activated by a "back drive rod"

I have a photographic memory but it's out of film right now

Going out to check now

{EDIT}

Nope I was wrong, I guess the back drive rod is only for locking the transmission in park

The Purple and Purple with white stripe wire plug (Neutral safety switch) and the Green and Dark Green plug (back up light switch) both plug into a wiring harness (along with the Orange and White wire console light wire plug) that goes under the mat and connects to the Neutral safety/back up light switch inside the console

[This message has been edited by Dean (edited 05-25-2002).]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dean:
I'll have to go out and look at my 69 to refresh my memory but I think the same column switch for the neutral safety and back up lights is activated by a "back drive rod"

I have a photographic memory but it's out of film right now

Going out to check now

{EDIT}

Nope I was wrong, I guess the back drive rod is only for locking the transmission in park

The Purple and Purple with white stripe wire plug (Neutral safety switch) and the Green and Dark Green plug (back up light switch) both plug into a wiring harness (along with the Orange and White wire console light wire plug) that goes under the mat and connects to the Neutral safety/back up light switch inside the console

[This message has been edited by Dean (edited 05-25-2002).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First question: I have a 69 chevelle with a a 454, new alt. new external regulator. I notice that my headlights and dash lights are somewhat dim at idle. When I rev the engine everything brightens up. I checked the alt. charging circuit. Over 14v engine on. 12 v. engine off. Regulator and alt brown and blue wires reading approx 10-11v. I notice that when the engine is on the blue wire from alt reads about 4-5v. is this normal?

Well I get 12 volts from the brown wire at regulator. 12v from the alternator blue wire switch off. Ignition on I get 4 -5 volts at blue wire. Changed regulator, new alternator, new ground wire engine to frame and battery to fender. Alternator is charging battery, when I am revving engine i see a faint pulsating of lights. At idle lights are dimmer but not real dimm. Confused?
FMSS4

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

where is that switch normally located in the console? I don't seem to remember if I saw one mounted in the console. If not, can I purchase one?

Thank You

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Below is a link to a picture of a console shifter W/switch from a 70 model. I'm sure a 69 is the same. I think the switch on your column and the one for the console shifter are the same part. Just take yours off the top of the column and try to use it. You will have to have a console harness extension to make things work. If I remember right it's about 3 foot long and has two purple wires for neutral start and pink and green wires for the backup lights and plugs in to the connectors you removed from the column switch. Hope this helps .
http://members.cox.net/chevelle/sw

1 - 8 of 8 Posts