Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for anybody that is pretty familiar with 67 El Camino/Chevelle. I currently have a TH350 but am looking to switch over to a TH400. I know the driveshaft must be shortened, new yoke, but do I need to modify the crossmember at all? And will the TH400 bolt into the same place as the TH350? Right now I use the two middle holes for the crossmember, but have on more back and one more front. Sorry to be so specific. Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
You will probably have to weld in new crossmember mounts-the original pad won't be long enough. If you don't have a trailer the easy way to do this is to get everything else done, let the tranny rest on the crossmember & drive-very carefully-to a muffler shop. They can weld new angle brackets in to mount up to the new tailstock.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have done a couple of th350 to 400 swaps and have never had to change or weld a x-member. change the rear mount install the trans have drivline shortend 3/4 of and inch and have the front yolk changed and your off.

·
Registered
12,948 Posts
This should be a 100% bolt-in swap except for shortening the drive shaft. The factory puts the additional holes in the frame so that the cross member can be located where it is needed for the various types of trannies. This is one you should be able to do blindfolded.

------------------

·
Administrator
3,375 Posts
1967 was the first year that the TH-400 was offered as an option, so those back two holes will do just fine, no welding or fabrication required. The only crossmember difference I've bumped into was the convertible is different from the rest (should be same as elky though), it's shorter.
The hard part is the electric kick-down. It's operated off the carb linkage and is somewhat hard to find. The original floor shifted TH-400's are all cable operated for gear changes. Not sure what you are using right now to shift the th350.

·
Registered
242 Posts
DJ, if this is a hardtop, you should be able to just slide the crossmember back in the frame.If it is a conv. or El Camino, the frame is boxed, and has brackets welded on the frame for the crossmember, for TH-400 factory instalation, they welded an extension to the rear of the bracket, hope this helps. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.