Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 70 is about ready for paint. I need some leads to a good painter. Preferably somewhere close by. My car is in Sultan. Looking to do a Cobalt Blue with white stripes. Let me know. I would like to have it done before the Snohomish car show.

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
When is the Snohomish car show? Joey Swenson, in Big lake by Mt Vernon, did my 68 chevelle, but if he has work lined up now, you'd have to wait. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you his number.

A few others here on TC have seen my 68, not a 10K show job but almost too nice for a driver.

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
That turned out sweet Paul!:thumbsup:

I like the flames, nice and subtle.

Darryls '68 looks really nice. I'd love to have paint that nice some day.

Maybe Ben will chime in with who painted his neighbors Chevelle. It turned out nice too.

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Maybe Ben will chime in with who painted his neighbors Chevelle. It turned out nice too.
Actually i won't do them the justice they deserve to be named... Just to say its a very high $$ shop in Snohomish.

Erics car looks great in SPITE of the work they did. Personally I think he got ripped... Eric did all the bodywork on his car himself- it was LASER straight & ready for paint... All he wanted was for it to be bocked out one last time- remove the doors & front clip- Paint, wet stand, and re-assemble & align.

He paid more for that work they did than I did for my whole paintjob, bodywork included- and it took them 6 months! and they still cut corners. I won't say what, because it looks great NOW (that eric fixed their screwups himself)...

Bottom line is, if you don't know the shop- watch them closely, regardless of their reputation!

Now all that being said, If you are willing to travel- I had very good luck with the paintjob on my elk- Painted by 6th Ave Autobody down in Tacoma. Ask for Scott, tell them you saw my 68 elk.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now Its in SPI epoxy. I need to fill in some weld seems, 2K, and block. Just dont have the set up or skill do do the paint myself. Other issue is I dont have a car hauler, so I will need to find a place that will pick it up without ripping me off for that also.

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Right now Its in SPI epoxy. I need to fill in some weld seems, 2K, and block. Just dont have the set up or skill do do the paint myself. Other issue is I dont have a car hauler, so I will need to find a place that will pick it up without ripping me off for that also.
Almost all tow companies have flatbeds nowadays... probably about $100 for a short haul.

I'd do that instead of trying to find a good shop that will ALSO pick up and deliver for you...

·
Registered
836 Posts
How about Moslanders in Monroe? About a close as you can get to Sultan!

You are kidding, right? They specialize in high quality work and their price is high end too. 8 years ago I had Moslander do paint only on my 68 Charger for $10,000, so unless you are willing to spend a bunch of money I think better deals can be found elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
I just shot some SPI epoxy on my core support, inner fender and radiator top cover. How did you set your gun up to not get massive orange peel?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a little orange peel on my first pass. After that I spent some time adusting the gun. I was using a cheapo Harbor Freight purple gun. It came out ok. I was told not to work to much about the peel because it would need scuffed before applying the 2k. I bought a Iwata lph 400 just in case I found a place to spray the bc/cc

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
I read on the SPI forums that some people have a lot better luck with that stuff if it is reduced 10% or so. I've never sprayed before though so I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to gun adjustments.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts