Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe you guys can give me some opinions..

I have a 1970 el camino... nice car, runs & looks & sounds great.. but I really want an SS and something a little different.. I have really had this one particular car on my mind.. this is what I know about it:

its a 1970 SS-396 el camino..

i first saw it at the Pomona car show a few weeks ago.. (didnt have a for-sale sign on it, and it was with 3 other show cars none were advertised for sale, had to ask)

its this dark purple/maroon sort of color.. sort of different but the paint is a 9+ out of 10... (didnt really look at it that hard but I know its very nice, recent)

its got a very very clean interior, possibly new. of course SS guages with factory tach, clock, and full ammeter, etc guages no dummy lites.. its a console auto (i assume t400 owner didnt know for sure) ... bench seat, tilt, AC, power windows & door locks, .. i didnt notice any flaws in the interior.. exterior is flawless also (from what I remember)... stock-type rally wheels, all the chrome, etc.. cowl induction hood, engine compartment was clean, looked fairly stock, but I remember it had headers, dont know for sure what else.. asked about the rear end (on phone.. in person at the show, only the wife was there and didnt know much technical stuff) and he wasnt sure, says its geared low.. i asked his overall opinion about the car.. says HE thinks you probably wont find a nicer one around.. (also owns a 70 SS-454 comparable condition, along with many other classics/muscle cars) reason for selling is he wants to get rid of some cars because he just sold his house, etc.. and doesnt have anywhere to keep them all.

asked what documentation he had.. no build sheet, etc. says he only has pictures and he bought it from a guy in fallbrook who did all the work and "cant remember his name or phone number"

the guy is probably in his mid-late 50's and admitted that he didnt want to deal with looky loo's and i assured him im serious.. hes a self-admitted grumpy old fart.
basically he told me when you come bring your money because you will buy this one. I will probably go look the car over within the weekend... BTW he wants $11,000 even for it. (funny because his wife told me 10.5K) what do you guys think? also he claims it probably doesnt have even 2500 miles on the full drivetrain (said in not so many words).

bottom line is yes i like the car from what i remember, and i heard it run, looked in it, etc was very very nice... this was a car show and people were standing around admiring it, so you know its pretty nice (though it didnt get as many looks as the 454
)

if you're still with me, thanks for keeping on reading

ALSO on a 70 SS-396 what are tell tale signs that it IS and ISNT a true SS. Not owning an SS im not real good in that area but a few I know about are boxed control arms, and well actually thats the only one I can think of. is a 12 bolt standard? Im not real concerned about #'s matching, this is going to be a driver but I definately want a true SS, im not paying 11K for a phoney.

if I think of anything else I'll post another post.

thanks guys,

Mike Reeh
Gold #34

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Here are some signs for SS option...The tach should be a 5500 redline tach, yellow at 5000. Not guaranteed though. There were exceptions. Fuel lines, one 3/8" and one 1/4". 1 1/8" front sway bar. 12 bolt rear axle with sway bar. 3.31 axle ratio was standard, with 4.10 optional. Never seen a documented '70 SS with any other gear. SS emblems on door panels. SS emblem on horn shroud, unless it has the optional wheel.
Of course, a matching # 350 hp engine would be a bonus. 11 G's sounds too cheap if it's as nice as you say.
Also, the VIN should start out 13680, (if I remember right) to indicate a V-8 NOTE- the VIN will not tell you for sure, it must be a V-8 VIN though.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response dave but a couple things, since its an el camino there are no SS badges on the door panels and you couldnt get rear anti-sway bars on the el camino

(learned this stuff from dan carr's how to spot a fake SS guide)

the fuel line, and tach redline stuff is a big big help though, thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have seen a documented 70 L78 with a auto and 3.55 posi.AMA form 40-A lists the 3.55 axle availible with the L78 in late 1969.Probably very rare but I seen a shadow gray L78 in atco NJ for the muscle car nationals in 89 with this axle.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
For a guy who has a "Bunch" of muscle cars he sure couldn't answer many of your questions. Rally wheels were not standard on an SS. The SS El Camino had the same SS wheels as the coupe. Check out the resto shop section on this site for id'ing an SS. Canadian SS's had the RPO code on the cowl tag. Without a build sheet, protecto plate or original window sticker you cannot prove it is an original SS.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well you can see what I meant by not being good with SS stuff.. What I meant was stock-style wheels.. the gray ones with the large chrome center-caps..

And you're right about not being able to answer many questions but I think hes an older guy with money that pretty much buys what makes him happy.. hes obviously not into them like most of the TC members..

Mike

[This message has been edited by mike reeh (edited 07-15-99).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.