Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/2226810039.html

I'm looking into getting a muscle car as a DD.I love this chevelle but I don't think it's worth what he's asking.
I went and looked at it and it's all good mechanically and the body is in decent shape for the price. The only thing that's bugging me is that it has a bunch of little problems. The speedo,tach and mileage are way off what they should be reading.The interior is in pretty good shape but the drivers seat is screwed up and he mcgyvered it so it's somewhat normal again. There's only one rust spot about the size of a half dollar so that doesn't bother me. There weren't any seatbelt (at least none that I could find when he took for a quick ride in it).The hood has a lot rock chips on it but I'm thinking about just vinyling over it. Last thing I can think of is it used to have chrome molding strips down the sides of it and now there's some little door ding type dents along the side of the car.

Most of the stuff isn't really noticeable unless you're looking for it but I'm not looking to get a project car. He's been using it as a DD for 9 years so some of it is expected. I'm not looking for a perfect show car either since it's gonna be my daily like it was his.

I only have an import background so i've been trying to learn as much as possible so I don't get screwed on this.

I'm looking to pay around $8000-$10000 at the most for it.
What do you guys think of all this?what would you pay?

screenshot of the ad incase the link breaks.
He's asking $11,500

·
Registered
690 Posts
Is there a grill in it? or is it like that to match the hood? it looks funny. Other than that, nice looking car. The description sounds good if he has been DD it must be reliable and have the bugs worked out. i dont know $$ or what its worth.

I only have an import background so i've been trying to learn as much as possible so I don't get screwed on this.

Chevelles are easy to work on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a grill in it? or is it like that to match the hood? it looks funny. Other than that, nice looking car. The description sounds good if he has been DD it must be reliable and have the bugs worked out. i dont know $$ or what its worth.

Chevelles are easy to work on.

yep.the grill is painted to match the hood. I don't have any doubts about it being reliable. I just don't know if all the little stuff will cost me a lot to replace or fix. and from what ive seen i know itll be easier to work on than my 350z

·
Premium Member
3,969 Posts
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/2226810039.html

I'm looking into getting a muscle car as a DD.I love this chevelle but I don't think it's worth what he's asking.
I went and looked at it and it's all good mechanically and the body is in decent shape for the price. The only thing that's bugging me is that it has a bunch of little problems. The speedo,tach and mileage are way off what they should be reading.The interior is in pretty good shape but the drivers seat is screwed up and he mcgyvered it so it's somewhat normal again. There's only one rust spot about the size of a half dollar so that doesn't bother me. There weren't any seatbelt (at least none that I could find when he took for a quick ride in it).The hood has a lot rock chips on it but I'm thinking about just vinyling over it. Last thing I can think of is it used to have chrome molding strips down the sides of it and now there's some little door ding type dents along the side of the car.

Most of the stuff isn't really noticeable unless you're looking for it but I'm not looking to get a project car. He's been using it as a DD for 9 years so some of it is expected. I'm not looking for a perfect show car either since it's gonna be my daily like it was his.

I'm looking to pay around $8000-$10000 at the most for it.
What do you guys think of all this?what would you pay?

He's asking $11,500
Aftermarket seat belts are pretty cheap and a large variety of colors.
The holes filled down the side can be reworked again and probably hidden better. They will be less noticeable with a light color paint. Another option is to get stick on plastic trim and cover the dimples where the holes were. It would look somewhat like original. I think the trim came on 80s or 90s Chevrolet pickups and maybe others.
A transmission shop should be able to help you with the speedometer gearing. If the speedometer itself is off it may need to be rebuilt. I can provide contact for a shop to do that.
If the tachometer of reading wrong it may need to be replaced.
If the seat "fix" is stable/reliable, and is OK with you, leave it be. If not, fix it.

When buying an old car like this cash talks. Arrange to meet him at a bank or some public place like that and bring what you want to pay in cash. It is hard to turn down that many green backs.

Yes, there are a number of things but you have pointed out nothing major. Have it checked to avoid the major things. I would have the car checked over by a shop. Find a shop that has been around for 40 years and still has the old man there. Have him check it.

Is there a street rod club in LV? Contact them and ask what shops they use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^
That's what I figured. The guy's 28, has a 2 year old kid and he's trying to get an older cts-v. I figure if I meet him again with $9500 in cash that he'll take it.
I'm having a shop (the guy that owns it hangs out with us at the Z meets) check it out before I even talk about prices with the guy.
If it will only cost me about a grand to get the little stuff fixed and there's no major problems the shop finds then i'm buying it.

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
one nice thing to add is it doesnt already have it would be a disc brake setup. If its got it, great, if not I think the kit is something like 700 bucks. Im pretty sure seatbelts didnt come in chevelles back in 65 unless you ordered them, if available at all. jim

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
one nice thing to add is it doesnt already have it would be a disc brake setup. If its got it, great, if not I think the kit is something like 700 bucks. Im pretty sure seatbelts didnt come in chevelles back in 65 unless you ordered them, if available at all. jim
my '65 came with factory seatbelts in the front only. like you said, easy enough to get them aftermarket and install as long as the cage nuts are there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has drum brakes right now.I've seen those kits. Definitely something I'll do in a few months if I get it but not a major concern right now.
Just looked up the seat belts on a couple different sites. They're all around $60 for a pair but I found a 3 point harness(just a lap belt but with shoulder straps on each side and the shoulder part bolts in on the floor behind the seat) I can put in for $110 for a pair.
I love how cheap everything is to fix or replace and how cheap it is to get good gains from the engine.

Thanks for all the helpful responses.
Gonna check some stuff with the bank and insurance companies tomorrow and hopefully everything goes well so my mechanic can look at it on saturday and give me good news so I can get it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Nice looking Chevelle.

I drive my 64ss as my daily driver. Some weeks it gets 100 miles or so and some weeks it may get 600 to 700 miles added to the odo.

If you don't end up with this one, I would search out one with a 283. Mine has the Pwr Pac 283; double hump heads, 4 bbl and dual exhaust. Just this past Wed. I drove it 440 miles and it returned over 23 MPG crusing between 75 and 80 mph.

Driving these old cars as a dd makes a lot of sense. They get better mileage than the average SUV or sedan, are cheaper to repair, go up in value instead of down, are more dependable and are just plain more fun to drive. I've caught folks taking pictures of my car on their cell phone running 75 MPH on the highway! That never happens in my wife's car!!! The only drawback in driving it daily will be getting out of gas stations as everyone there will ask what year it is and is it for sale! On the other hand, I've met many very nice people because of my car...some of which have become very close friends.

Good luck getting it!

Tom
64ss (keeping the roads hot)
63 Newport (to cool not to keep)
69 Baja Bug (keeping the off road trails hot)
73 Mach1 (shading my driveway waiting it's turn)
75 Firebird (in the garage..restoration in progress)
79 TR7 (For those high speed mountain runs)
96 Roadmaster Wagon (mama's LT1 powered Mustang beater)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice looking Chevelle.

Driving these old cars as a dd makes a lot of sense. They get better mileage than the average SUV or sedan, are cheaper to repair, go up in value instead of down, are more dependable and are just plain more fun to drive.

Good luck getting it!

Tom
64ss (keeping the roads hot)
63 Newport (to cool not to keep)
69 Baja Bug (keeping the off road trails hot)
73 Mach1 (shading my driveway waiting it's turn)
75 Firebird (in the garage..restoration in progress)
79 TR7 (For those high speed mountain runs)
96 Roadmaster Wagon (mama's LT1 powered Mustang beater)
That's exactly why I want to get one. Plus if I still have it in a few years when I'm done with school I'll have some money and I can completely restore it.
I'm supposed to get everything checked out on saturday so hopefully it goes well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good luck, whatever u do don't rush into it.
everybody told me this and I'm glad i listened.
I ended up gettin an 04 gto instead. Was able to trade in my current DD for a good price and ended up getting it for $11,000.
I stayed in my budget,got rid of my other car, and ended up with something safer and more reliable but still awesome 350 v8 fun.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys.

·
Super Moderator
16,305 Posts
everybody told me this and I'm glad i listened.
I ended up gettin an 04 gto instead. Was able to trade in my current DD for a good price and ended up getting it for $11,000.
I stayed in my budget,got rid of my other car, and ended up with something safer and more reliable but still awesome 350 v8 fun.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys.
Ha! This is the little toy I got for DD duties last Summer.

LOVE IT! Come join the crowd over at www.ls1gto.com

I go by Rich-Tripower over there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts