Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been researching the brake systems for my 65 SS for weeks now. I'm still not sure what I want. This is what I have a boxed frame KBS'd black sitting on jack stands. I have the 9 inch quick performance housing built and hanging by the CPP stage 1 kit. I have the front mostly hanging in the frame as well. I was told when I bought the car that new 2 inch drop spindles were included. But now I know they are stock ride height spindles. No problem there as I have read too many threads about dragging header collectors on the road and bumps with the drop spindles. So I also just picked up a set of American Racing wheels 15 inch with the 4x4.75 bolt patterns. They were mounted on a 64 Nova. The tires are 215/60/15 front and 235/60/15 rears.

I want to buy the correct brake system the first time. I don't want to under brake the car and have to upgrade. I have a pretty stout 460 going in with a 5 speed. So which is better a single piston or dual piston caliper on the front where most of the braking is done? Not too worried about the back as I will install a single piston caliper back there with the parking brake built in. This car is going to terrorize the streets and roads where I live. Or should I say spirited driving and not really going to see a track that I know of as most of them are closed around here anyway. I would also like to keep it all GM parts like the 01 or 02 camaro stuff.

Who here has a 65' with the same suspension kit and a stout big block running what brake system? Thanks for any and all input.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
520 Posts
With that much power, you should go to 17" wheels, and a big brake setup .... 13" front minimum ...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well unfortunately I already bought the wheels I'm going to run. Looking at Wilwood's front 140-7675R and rear 140-11389R. Talked to them and this is what the guy recommended. I do have some measuring to do first tho.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I believe 7675-R are 12".....Yes, measure to be sure you have enough clearance....
I was lucky to have a friend with the same brakes I wanted, so I tried one of my wheels on
his car ....

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Look into using a hydra-boost set up. I have 4 wheel discs and the hydra-boost on my 65 Elky - it stops like and has the pedal feel of a new car. Engine vacuum has no bearing on the braking function and the pedal feels the same every time. I run the 15" around the Stock 70 A-Body fronts and 93 Z28 rear discs. It stops!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look into using a hydra-boost set up. I have 4 wheel discs and the hydra-boost on my 65 Elky - it stops like and has the pedal feel of a new car. Engine vacuum has no bearing on the braking function and the pedal feels the same every time. I run the 15" around the Stock 70 A-Body fronts and 93 Z28 rear discs. It stops!
That's the info I was looking for! Thanks man!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts