Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed a set of leaf springs (only one leaf)made up for my utility trailer but the spring place says they can't make it because of a little nub on the spring. There's this little nub on it that keeps it in place on the axle and they can't duplicate it. Any ideas on where I could get some made? I've heard of Eaton spring but I don't know if they could make them.

------------------
1970 Chevy El Camino (Custom) Non-SS
Will be Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top (now black)
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Dual Exhaust
TH-350 - 2.73 Posi Rear - Factory PS, PB, PW, A/C & More
My El Camino Home Page
Other Restorations -1969 Snowco Trailer & 1967 Sears Custom 600 Tractor
Team Chevelle Member #995

·
Registered
170 Posts
Get the right length spring have them drill a hole in it for a nut and bolt if they can because spring steal is tough and you'll go through alot of bits or have them weld a nut to the spring and grind it to fit the hole in the axle.

------------------
Tom Donaldson
71' GMC Sprint

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
drill a 1/2" hole in the spring, and to make the nub have a machine shop turn down a 1/2" bolt head to the size needed. Then just put the turned down bolt in the spring with a lock washer and nut to locate it, and after the axle is where it should be tack weld the bolt to the spring. If the "nub" is smaller in diameter you could use a 3/8" bolt instead, just want to use a bolt with a large enough head to turn down.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help. I think what I'll do is what you suggested, bring it to a machine shop and have them deal with drilling through it and do what Dave suggested, weld bolt to it and ground it down to a nub. I guess you have to improvise when the parts aren't available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.