Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
first time posting, happy to be here. mangled 1 lower control arm outer shell removing bushing. 1966 stock arm. i have the 1.42 and 1.67 arm. it is the smaller one that is needed.cant seem to locate vendors who sell these seperate anywhere online.
tim

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Have you tried your local napa?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, they have the bushing i just need the outer shell. have new bushings as they dont typically come with the outer shell. its usally attached to the control arm itself.
thank you

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Seems like the only option is to buy a replacement (Moog) bushing, press it into the control arm & then heat and/or drill out the rubber.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The shell is part of the bushing. You always replace the entire unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this pic might help simplify, on the left is the correct outer shell, next is without, to the right is the damaged one that was there before i trashed it. all the new bushings i see for lca dont come with the shell as it is normally installed in the lca already.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts
As Rob said the shell is a part of the bushing, just press the bushing in on the right arm and on the left you have to press out the shell thats still left.

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, then i will have the wrong size bushings! id rather get one new outer shell than 4 new bushings again. yes, i did read the older threads with the same issue. prob going to press the 3 new bushings in the existing outer shells and try to restore the damaged shell or fabricate a new one.

·
Registered
208 Posts
well, then i will have the wrong size bushings! id rather get one new outer shell than 4 new bushings again. yes, i did read the older threads with the same issue. prob going to press the 3 new bushings in the existing outer shells and try to restore the damaged shell or fabricate a new one.
Sounds like a lot of work to save $23 and maybe end up with a repair that does not hold up long term. I'd try hard to get the proper bushings to fit correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts