Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the group and need help. I have questions! ;) In this pic, you can see the color difference from the dash, and steering wheel - to the seats.

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

1. I have a 1970 Malibu with red interior. The trim tag shows "Medium Red". Are there 2 shades to a 1970 interior? I see medium red and dark red listed. I ask this as I have the original dash, steering wheel and dash housing and they look a deeper red than aftermarket replacement pieces I see being sold online. The online items seem much brighter than the originals I have.

2. Are all dash pads and dash housings actually black from the factory and then painted to whatever color is required? I noticed a couple scratches and rub spots on my originals and it seems to show black underneath. They were never molded in color is what I'm asking? So painting the dash and housing is technically accurate if I was to paint black pieces? Do painted items wear well or do they require maintenance?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Can't answer specifically for 1970 models, but my '64 wagon has two distinctly different shades of red that are called out on the Fisher Body interior paint codes for 1964. One is a flat red for the dash & one is a brighter red for the tops of the doors & the interior tailgate that is semi gloss/satin. I've seen this for other years & colors as well. '67 models have 2 or 3 shades of blue for the same interior. Makes things very interesting if you're goal is a 100% stock interior.

Here you can see the difference between the dash & the tops of the doors. The steering column is called out to match the dash, but the wheel is called out to be the brighter red. It took me a long time to convince myself not to match the wheel to the column, but I finally got on board after studying as many photos as I could find of original cars. This is the way GM did it.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Steering wheel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Are you the fellow that restores the pads and housings? Is there success in painting a dash and does it last?

The dash housings came in black, and then painted the interior color.
The dash pads were molded in the proper colors matching the interior color.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The different pieces fade at different rates depending on the material. I just re-dyed a 70 red interior with SEM red, check their chart for a match. Did all the dash, door panels seats, kick panels, steering column. Looks like new. Preparation is the key, degreaser, dawn soap works well too. Light even coats just enough to cover. Available from you auto paint supply store. 2 cans should do it, about $25.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts