Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 71 GMC Sprint, it"s an SS 396 car from S.Carolina very solid w/no bondo has Olds 455 in the car right now. Dash portion of car is cherry needs headliner, new tires very nice alum. wheels.new exhaust, auto trans. Paid $3500 For it. I guess what I need to know is if I got screwed or not, and a ballpark figure what it's worth all restored w/a 396 back in it. I'm a GTO man after all. thanks for your time. Wally

·
Registered
4,766 Posts

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
This is a very rare car!
There was no SS396 though.. There was a 402 and a 454 (for big blocks)
Actually.. No SS at all in the GMCs.. There was an SP.. It was the same as the Chevy's SS. If it's a true SP car.. Only 249 were built in 71.

For $3500 it's a good find! (If it's in good shape)

Edit:
Just noticed it's your first post..
WELCOME TO THE BEST SITE ON THE NET!

------------------
Shai

1972 Chevelle Malibu custom 4dr
Restoration started: February 10th 2001
TC member #1278

[This message has been edited by ChaosMalibu (edited 01-20-2002).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WallyC:
I just bought a 71 GMC Sprint, it"s an SS 396 car from S.Carolina very solid w/no bondo has Olds 455 in the car right now. Dash portion of car is cherry needs headliner, new tires very nice alum. wheels.new exhaust, auto trans. Paid $3500 For it. I guess what I need to know is if I got screwed or not, and a ballpark figure what it's worth all restored w/a 396 back in it. I'm a GTO man after all. thanks for your time. Wally<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
I hope that Big James doesn't find out that you snuck one out of South Carolina without him having first shot at it.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
WallyC,

As other have stated already, there is no such thing as an "SS" or a "396" Sprint. But there were two varieties of 402 Sprints in '71-'72. One is the "SP" (like the El Camino SS). The other is the non-SP. You could get a 402 in a '71-'72 Sprint with or without the SP package. Does it have a round speedmeter or the wide rectangular "sweep" speedometer ?

Does it have the "GMC" grille emblem ? Tell us some more details about it.

------------------
Dan Carr
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold Member #11, ACES #701
Author of the GMC Sprint, El Camino, and '68-'72 SS Authentication pages.
See my GM A-body fleet at:
<A HREF="http://www.DesignsComputed.com/cars/cars.HTM
" TARGET=_blank>http://www.DesignsComputed.com/cars/cars.HTM
</A>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.