Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am building 1970 conv. was 307 car eng long gone so want to put BB i was told 454 not avalible until jan 1970 my car was built oct 6 69 so i would like to get 396/375 dated aug sept 69 but not sure what im looking for. i was hoping with your knowledge i might be able to find the right stuff or at least find out a source for casting #s and the type of components i need any and all help would be apprieciated thanks

------------------

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
I believe the LS-6 (450 hp) 454 was not available until Jan '70. The LS-5, (360 hp)454 was available from the very begining of production.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY COPPERTOP I AM STILL TRYING TO FIGURE THAT OUT HEARD NO 454 TILL JAN AND NOW I READ THIS HOPE YOUR RIGHT BECAUSE IT WILL MAKE MY SEARCH FOR AN ENGINE THAT MUCH EASIER THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO RESPOND

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Just curious, but as your car is not original, why are you worried about matching the dates to the body? It wont matter to the value, unless you try to sell the car as an original BB car..which would not be a nice thing to do.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
car was sold in canada so it has full documentation from GM if someone wanted to get it. I also have original build sheet not trying to fool anyone just thought would be neat if i could build it for myself with correct dated components. may be worth more down the road should i decide to sell. who knows, i am a firm believer in representing the car for what it really is if i wasn't i wouldn't be posting that it was a 307 orig.just building it for fun.but thanks for your reply was curious what someone may think about the value of a car built this way. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drptop70ss:
Just curious, but as your car is not original, why are you worried about matching the dates to the body? It wont matter to the value, unless you try to sell the car as an original BB car..which would not be a nice thing to do.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
964 Posts
Earliest LS-6 buildsheet date I have on file is 12/9/69.Have many with Mid December build dates as well.Literature states orders could be taken as early as October.
I have a friend who is doing the very same thing you are.He wanted to be as close as he could on an LS-6 dated motor for his November dated Malibu.The dollar amount of all the parts was astronomical.An LS-6 distributor alone is bringing $1600.00.He was competeing with clone builders who are falsifying LS-6's and hope to recoup their costs by claiming it as original.He found it easier and more economical to buy a new 502 from Chevrolet and drop it in.

------------------
Rick Peters
NCOA#1670-ACES#175
1970...ON THE MOVE

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the reply, i have run into the same thing that's why i was looking for LS5 or L78 but someone said no 454's til Jan. trying to find out for sure and also need casting #'s for L78 parts. thanks again <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mr70:
Earliest LS-6 buildsheet date I have on file is 12/9/69.Have many with Mid December build dates as well.Literature states orders could be taken as early as October.
I have a friend who is doing the very same thing you are.He wanted to be as close as he could on an LS-6 dated motor for his November dated Malibu.The dollar amount of all the parts was astronomical.An LS-6 distributor alone is bringing $1600.00.He was competeing with clone builders who are falsifying LS-6's and hope to recoup their costs by claiming it as original.He found it easier and more economical to buy a new 502 from Chevrolet and drop it in.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.