Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my situation. I have a 64 malibu SS with a 396. About two months ago I notice the engine running a little ruff. The idle was low and the car would stall unless I put it in nuetral and gave it extra gas. Long story short I have mixed oil and antifreeze. I live in Garden Grove Calif. I have the top end down to the heads ready to come off but I do not have the experience to know what to look for. The friend that was going to help is leaving to go racing a funny car in Arizona. I need to get my car running in 2.5 weeks. It is in my garage all apart so I cant take it anywhere. I am looking for someone with the knowledge to help me figure out if it is just a head gasket or worse case cracked block. I am not looking for a free ride I just need a house call. E- mail me if you can help my situation. Sorry for the lengthy sob story. Thanks, Brian

------------------
1964 SS malibu http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1551256&a=13393249&f=0

[This message has been edited by streetroder69 (edited 10-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by streetroder69 (edited 10-27-2001).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Give me a call streetroder,maybe I can help.I live out in Corona,but it gives me a chance to take the car out and maybe give someone a hand.Clarence 909-520-0132.If it just keeps on ringin call 909-856-9505.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
The main thing to do is get the heads to a machine shop so they can be checked for cracks. That means a complete rebuild for them, since they will most likely want to hot tank the heads.
You will need to find someone with an experienced set of eyes to look at the old gaskets. An experienced mechanic can look at the old gaskets and tell pretty quick if it's the source of your problems, and can also show you what to look for in case there's a next time. And last, have this person do a visual inspection of the cylinder walls. Most of the time, a crack can be easily seen. But for sure, if the machine shop does not find any cracks in the heads, then you will want someone to look at the old gaskets and the cylinder walls.
I'm not sure if a 396 has a problem with cracking around the lifter bores like some small blocks, but I'm sure someone here can help out on that one.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Garden Grove eh...no problem for me to come by and help you, I'm only a few blocks away
Just e-mail me if you are still looking for a helping hand.

Thomas

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph
8/1/01 added Plum Mist '67 to collection
*New* 468 on its way - going Big Block!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the passenger side head off tonight. I am trying to get the driver side lower 4 bolts off but cant reach them. The header is in the way I tried to remove the motor mount bolt so I can jack up that side of the engine but I cant reach the inside of the mount and it is an alen head. Any ideas on how to reach these 4 bolts the header is in way to snug up against the steering bar.

[This message has been edited by streetroder69 (edited 10-29-2001).]

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Brian, gonna have to get you on DSL so that your one phone line can do double duty. I left a message, call me when you get off the net.

You are going to have to remove more things to get that head off, the driver's side is a little tight with a big block. If the car is not yet in the air, you might need to lift it up a bit to get better access.

Thomas

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph
8/1/01 added Plum Mist '67 to collection
*New* 468 on its way - going Big Block!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.