Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently have had a problem with my '71. I noptice the problem mostly at night. It seems when my car hits bumps my headlights will dim and I can hear a crackling sound through the radio, sometimes the generator light will come on at the same time but only momentarily. I have tried it w/the radio on or off and the headlights on and off to try and isolate the problem. Still does it. Am I correct to assume if my lights were shorting it would blow the fuse? It leads me to think it's a power supply(battery) or generation(alternator) problem. The only work I have done recently is replace the battery and the cables. I checked out all the wiring but I have yet to find anything obviously shorting out. I'm trying to sell this car but who would buy it if it's got problems? Any help would be appreciated!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had problems like yours as well. What I did was put the car in a very dark place and try to simulate the bouncing that causes the problem. Do whatever you have to do. Have someone bounce on the bumper or pound firmly somewhere on the dash that won't damage the dash. Hopefully you will be able to visually see a flash that will put you in the area of the short. It worked for me. Good Luck!

·
Registered
859 Posts
The generator light may be the tip to what is happening. I assume that you have a 3 wire internally regulated unit. Anytime that light comes on, even for a short period, means that the alternator voltage is dipping enough in relationship to the battery. The dip or output from the alternator will cause the lights to dim, whereas the voltage goes from 14+ VOLTS to just 12+ish. Does this stay this way? You can confirm alternator output by measuring at the battery more than 13 volts DC. A fully charged battery will just read 12.65VDC. Anything more, and the alternator is producing a charge.

A short would not produce such results without blowing a fuse most likely. A loose or high resistance ground would, however. Start running parallel wires for grounds to chassis from the battery and alternator. Also, check your ground to the engine frame. The alternator has to have this in as good as condition as the primary feed.

Just a few ideas.

------------------
Steve Jack - ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets / Engineering & Marketing Technologies

1 - 3 of 3 Posts