Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 03 GMC 3500 with the Duramax Diesel and lately, if you let it sit at idle,, it will start burning oil like there's no tommorrow!! It also likes to do it when you punch the accelerator down. Anyone have any suggestions on what mmay cause this? It has 86,000 miles on it but thats like baby steps for a diesel! Oh, and once it starts doing it while you sit there, it won't stop. Thank you for your time!

·
Super Moderator
13,358 Posts
Rian,
I thought those things had a 5yr 100k warranty on the engines, fuel system etc. Take it back to the dealer and let them fix it. Could be a lot of things but I seem to remember seeing a bulletin of some sort on this problem. Has to do with the injectors.

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Have you recently started using biodiesel? Could be a problem, not sure. I'd be inclined to say it's late model enough that the seals would be able to handle it, but I could be wrong, haven't dealt with them much. I know the earlier GM diesels don't like it at all, gums up the whole fuel system. I have seen biodiesel react with some fuel filter seals here, swells them up, then they leak.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 03 GMC 3500 with the Duramax Diesel and lately, if you let it sit at idle,, it will start burning oil like there's no tommorrow!! It also likes to do it when you punch the accelerator down. Anyone have any suggestions on what mmay cause this? It has 86,000 miles on it but thats like baby steps for a diesel! Oh, and once it starts doing it while you sit there, it won't stop. Thank you for your time!
Any loss of power? Does the Duramax Diesel have a turbo or a blower?
Will anyway, you describe a turbo problem. Massive loss of oil through the seals.

·
Premium Member
14,223 Posts
Rian,
I thought those things had a 5yr 100k warranty on the engines, fuel system etc. Take it back to the dealer and let them fix it. Could be a lot of things but I seem to remember seeing a bulletin of some sort on this problem. Has to do with the injectors.
Bill, I think that only applies to the gasoline engines, his is a diesel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts