Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

I've got a 1970 El Camino that doesn't read how much fuel is in the tank. Before I knew better I was buying up replacement parts so I have a new harness specific to the fuel sender as well as a new in-tank sending unit. Original wiring was cut out and I have no idea why. There is part of the remaining wiring from the top of the tank that goes halfway up the body towards the front and is cut. No sign of it in the front of the car or behind the cluster.

Before I started plugging things in, as well as dropping the tank, I wanted to hear if anyone had any experience with this and if there is anything to be careful about since we're talking about fuel. I believe the harness picks up somewhere in the tail of the car as well as go to the instrument cluster (fuel guage). The books I have are not too specific and really just describe how to replace the sending unit. Also, the manuals I've got describe a tool, " ...meter asembly removal tool"-is that neccessary or just pry it loose?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You should be able to get at the gage wiring by removing the dash pad. On the back of the gage there is a connector with 3 wires on it. The tan wire is the sender wire from the tank.
Cutting or disconnecting this wire makes the meter produce a full reading.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you-I've got to go check it out again. The fuel level reads empty, the tan wire you speak of can be seen coming from about the top of the tank and then is cut about where the rear tires are if you can believe that. No other wires are visible. Not sure why the prior owner would take it out. I've got a new harness and a new sending unit.

Any safety problems here to worry about such as putting too much power to the sending unit?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
May want to test the gage. If the tan wire is cut (open), the gage should read full, not empty. Maybe the gage isn't getting 12 volts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts