Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I just purchased a 67 SS with a 468. The original owner put a fixed 5 blade fan on it that chewed up the factory shroud to the point it has to be replaced. I want to order a new shroud and change the fan out to a clutch type. I was thinking about going with the Hayden 3618 fan and Hayden 2747 clutch. I have a Dewitt aluminum radiator and a long water pump. Will these parts work together? Any help is greatly appreciated Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Wonder why the fan chewed up the shroud? Check the driver's side motor mount. Sounds like it may be separating under torque and is letting the engine move and the fan hit the shroud, especially if it has a standard transmission. If the mount is bad, your new parts will get chewed up too.

What is the i.d. of the shroud you intend to use? You should allow about 1" clearance all around between fan and shroud, so with the 18" Hayden fan you will need a 20" i.d. shroud.

The projection distance of fan from water pump mount surface will be different between the non-clutch and clutch type fan. Try to have the fan approximately half in/half our of the shroud for proper air flow. I think the Hayden website has dimensions for the fan blade projection from mounting surface, and for the clutch as well. These dimensions together will tell you how the parts will space out with the shroud.

The fan and clutch you intend to use should work together OK.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts