Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took out the old fuel pump and bought a new line from pump to carb and new pump. when i went to put in the new pump it wouldnt go in and the old one wouldnt go in either. i looked in the block and there was a pin/rod. i think the rod sits on top of the pump arm but im not sure. theres a bolt at the bottom of the block below it but i dont know if i should remove it to get at the rod. i did a search and couldnt find anything about it. does anyone know what the rod is for and how i can change the fuel pump? thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
The rod rides on a concentric on the pulley. Some engines use the familiar finger/arm assembly, others, like the chevy have the rod. If you remove it, then put some grease on it, like cam lube, it should hold it up in place so that you can get the pump on. You might have to turn the motor (by hand!) to back the centric off.

Francis

------------------
1967 El Camino
1970 El Camino SS/396

G

·
The fuel pump push rod actually rides on a eccentric ground on the cam, Fords have a fuel pump eccentric bolted to the timing gear.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here is a little tip to assist in changing out a mechanical fuel pump. On the front side of the block just outside of where the fuel pump rod comes out there is a threaded bolt hole that you can insert a bolt into. Thread the bolt in till it contacts the fuel pump pushrod and tighten it just a bit. This will hold the rod in place so it won't fall down. Makes the pump change a snap. Just don't overtighten the bolt so as to bend the pushrod!! Hope this helps someone sometime down the road....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.