Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, you all know the story. Guy has Chevelle since his teens and sells when getting divorced later in life.

Fast forward to today! With the help of my insurance agent, I was able to get the VIN number on the 72 Malibu that I owned years ago and reluctantly sold. Now that I have the VIN, I need to know how to track down the current owner (assuming it hasn't been crushed) and see if there is any willingness to part with it.

Does anyone have any ideas or know of any resources that can be used for this sort of thing?

Thanks for all of your help in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
There's enough guys here, one of us might have it. Maybe post the last 4 of the VIN?

I'll start by saying I probably don't have yours. I know mine's history back to the late '80s.

·
Gold Founding Member
64,430 Posts
Might talk to someone at your local DMV office (or the state you sold it in)
They aren't supposed to give out personal information according to the federal privacy act - anti stalking laws but some go ahead and do it anyway.
A cop or insurance friend can get the informaton if they don't mind jeopardizing themselves and possibley getting into trouble.

How about starting with the person you sold it to?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
rule #1 if you own a classic car.......it's cheaper to keep her.

lol.......what would be a really funny thing is if you are married again......and get the car back....now it is community property. LOL...just messing with ya! Welcome.
I told my wife I will love her forever.......or how ever long to keep my car.:D :D

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. As it turns out, I just so happen to have a friend on the force and they are going to pull the number for me. You didn't hear that from me, though.

Anyway, some of you suggested that I post the last four numbers of the VIN here and perhaps someone has it.

It was a 1972 Malibu and the last four digits of the VIN are: 1439.

It was originally Hugger Orange and I was the 2nd owner of the car. I purchased it from an estate sale for $600 with only 48,000 miles on it. I sold the car to a body shop in the mid 90's in York, PA. The last I heard was, the shop painted the car green, reupholstered the interior and put a rollbar in it. The body shop is no longer in business and I have no records of the persons name that owned the shop.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE:

As posted previously, the last four digits of the VIN are #1439. The last time the vehicle was registered looks to be 2003 and was done so by a Tom Varns from Etters, PA.

We drove out to the last known address, but it doesn't seem to exist. So at this point, we are at a dead end for now.

If anyone knows the whereabouts of this car, or where I might be able to contact Mr. Varns, I'd love to hear from you.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
this makes me laugh...I found the original owner of my car, thought how cool to contact him (he's 76) now, and send him pic's of his old car revived and beautiful......tha wife says "yeah....you do that so you can discover it was stolen and he wants it back":mad: :noway:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Try the white pages on the good ole internet, which I just tried, but no Tom popped up, there is a few varns on there, How old is this guy? he could of passed away and the car is sitting in his kids yard.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE:

As posted previously, the last four digits of the VIN are #1439. The last time the vehicle was registered looks to be 2003 and was done so by a Tom Varns from Etters, PA.

We drove out to the last known address, but it doesn't seem to exist. So at this point, we are at a dead end for now.

If anyone knows the whereabouts of this car, or where I might be able to contact Mr. Varns, I'd love to hear from you.
I'd like to reopen this thread and see if anything new has surfaced on this. I am looking for a '72 Chevelle w/ the last four of the VIN being #1439. The car was last registered in 2003 to a Tom Varns from Etter's, PA.

If anyone has any information on this vehicle, I'd love to hear from you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you know the guys whole name (thomas? tom?) and year of birth it's pretty easy to track someone down. If all you have to go on is Tom Varns then it gets difficult. If you have any more info I can help you track him down if you'd like.
Graham

1 - 20 of 20 Posts