Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sand blasted my headers to remove the old paint faded and dying paint and need someone to suggest a good header paint that wont flake off or burn off in 1 month. I have heard someone talking about POR-20 silver but dont know of anyone who has used it before. Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,
72 ss 454 convert

·
Registered
738 Posts
It's a lot more expensive than just 'paint', but getting them Jet Hot coated is the best way to treat your hedders.

------------------
'70 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker! Houston, Texas Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Registered
48 Posts
wes is right jet hot is the only way to go, it's expensive, but you'll pick up some hp, your wires will be happy, under hood temps will decrease, I bought a set of headers that were coated two years ago, didn't run the car much since then, but they still look like new, another approach is the eastwood co. makes, i think the best header coatings available. check them out.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The following sequence of events has allways produced good results for me. At sun up start sand blasting a good job takes an hour or so, then I rinse them with enamel reducer, then I let them set in the direct sun till just before lunch, I quick rinse again and imedatly shoot a light but complete coat of good quality high temp paint(6-7 bucks a can, my favorite is white).Then after lunch I red Scotch-bright scuff,rinse with enamel reducer and Imedatly apply a heavy coat. That sets in direct sun the rest of the day. You can do the after lunch process again the next day if nessessary just don't touch them anywhere on the painted surface. After that the more days in the sun the better. The headers on the Camaro went 5 years and are just now needing a repaint.
Warning on the ceramic coating, if it's not done absolutly correct rust will eat through the metal and not show through the ceramic until it's too late. I got a set of Hooker super comps that where ceramic coated and although on the outside only slight surface rust showed but after removal of the ceramic the metal was severly pitted.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model
69 Chevelle coupe
71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette
71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes! POR-20 is killer stuff! I did my headers with it when I recently rebuilt my engine. It looks just like ceramic coating, and I will be willing to bet it's just about as tough. Best thing is you can put it on with a brush. This is some seriously tough stuff. I managed to bang up my headers getting them and the engine back in the car, but it didn't hurt the POR-20 at all. And it wasn't even cured by running the engine yet! It looks so good that I did my entire exhaust system with it, mufflers and all. I have tried just about every kind/quality of high-temp paint, and nothing even comes close! This stuff actually has aluminum in it, and you would have to look very closely to tell it apart from ceramic. My car is my daily driver, and it's been a few months since I painted them but they still look brand new. It does not chip, burn, or flake off. Pretty amazing stuff, I HIGHLY recommend it!

------------------
Rob F.
Team Chevelle #312
68' SS396 6-spd Elky

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can order from www.porstore.com
or call 1 877 548-9323 But you might wait till there's a show or swap meet in your area, POR may be there and you'll save a few bucks on the price and pay no shipping.

------------------
Mike
formerly known as gotapileof70Malibu
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible

[This message has been edited by RagTop70 (edited 08-27-99).]

·
Registered
131 Posts
I for one spoke of POR 20 Silver. It is on our stock manifolds that I bead blasted clean. They still look, several months later, as if they were just painted. Engine gets a lot of compliments for the very little really nice chrome and such on it. Manifolds MUST be what catches their eyes!

Dave H.
Houston, TX

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.