Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some please walk me through this. i pulled my dist. to install a new intake, i thought i had marked the position of the rotor and dist but now i'm getting an occasional backfire through the carb. if i was off a tooth would the car run? it runs smooth but once in a while backfires. i'd like to start over, please be very basic. thanks john

·
Registered
25 Posts
Turn the crank untill you are at TDC for piston #1. Remove the distributor cap and ensure that the rotor is pointing to the #1 sparkplug lead. If this is correct then you can proceed with regular timing of the engine. I believe there is a writeup on the entire procedure under Chevelle Tech Archive labeled "Total Timing".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Doing the Top Dead Center thing is will get you fixed, just remember to be at TDC on the power stroke (both intake & exaust valves closed)on #1. What you most likly did is not account for the fact that the rotor turns as you install/revome the distributer because of the way the drive gear is cut.

·
Registered
548 Posts
To expand on what Frank said when you lift the dis the oil pump drive clears first as the gear clears this places the slot in the pump off one tooth,so when you put it back and line up the oil pump drive tougue you are out one tooth on the dist drive gear.If out use a long screw driver flash lite helps too turn the pump CCW about 1/8" it should drop back in the right place...FRED

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
The only thing a "one tooth off" distribter will cause is that the distributer cap and, most noticably, the vacuum advance diaphram will not me in the same location they were originally in; they'll be a few degrees off too. If you have the clearence for the vacuum advance( i.e. it doesn't hit the firewall or manifold) when you time it with a light, and you can get it to the correct timing mark, then there is no need to re-stab the distributer. If it hits any obstructions and your still not to the correct timing mark, then you would need to re-stab it. If, while timing it, you find you need to turn the distributer further clockwise and can't, remove the cap and the distributer hold-down clamp, and carefully turn the rotor counter-clockwise until you feel it come up and out of the cam gear. Rotate it a little further counter-clockwise until you feel it fall back into meshing with the cam gear. Most likely the distributer won't go down as far as it was before because the oil pump won't be lined up with the key on the bottom of the distributer. "Bumping" the engine over will get it all lined up again. The same is true if you find you need to go further counter-clockwise while timing and can't, except you have to move the rotor clock wise after you get it dislodge from the cam gear by by having to originally turning it counter clockwise until it is free, and then find the next tooth going clockwise...a little more tricky.

Personaly, I feel that if the car is running, and I have a timing light, the whole " reinstalling the distributer with the engine at TDC' is a waste of time. BTW, I would let john e time my car...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.