Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys i finally picked me up a car its a 72 SS with a 454 i noticed today that there is this place near the suspension where my friends dad said a hose should go that connectes to my carb. that sucks the gas back into it when i let off the gas and there is no hose there i am wondering if that is it or what it could be, if it is then i am guessing gas is being thrown into my engine which means BOOM! so i just need a little help thanks

-=kyle

·
Registered
73 Posts
Take a look at your fuel pump. there should be a hose from the gas tank, a host that goes to the carb, and a hose that returns to the gas tank.

I believe that the return hose is what your friend is talking about. It is supposed to run to a vacuum canister located in the left front of the vehicle. From there, it runs to the hard return line just below the master cyl.

When removing the smog stuff, some people will just plug the return line at the fuel pump.

If this hole is plugged, you are not sparying gas on your engine. However, you could be building up pressure to the carb and in the fuel pump. I sugguest that you directly connect the return line to the fuel pump. You will be amazed at how much vacuum is in the tank when you go and fill it.

Hope this helps.

Tom.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.