Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I searched this forum first.
Too much stuff to sift through and there is no "exhaust/header" forum.

I know you guys have some nice cars out there so I need your input.
My ceramic coated headers are peeling and rusting. I need to replace them.
I would like to go to 2" primary tubes into my current 2.5 inch dual exhaust.
I would settle for 1 7/8 inch primary though.
My car is 69 Chevelle 454, oval port heads w/standard floor shift 4 spd.

Can anyone recommend a set of headers for me?
I would prefer not to dent or ding any ceramic coatings if at all possible.

thnx.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Hey dave, why not have your old headers powder coated? I know the joy of having that box waiting at the door, but its thought. do you prefer Stainless or ceramic headers? I had regular hooker or hedman long tube on my 350 and I like them. They sounded good and looked good(black powder coated) what's your budget?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These headers were ceramic to start with.
they are 1 3/4.
Getting them re-coated is an option I did not think of. good idea.
My budget is good, but, I cant see the money for stainless.
Was hoping someone could just say, hey, i have a BB with 2" headers and here is what they are.

thnx

PS, like your signature Steve.
"Stick it to em!"

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reason I do not just have these re-coated is I would like to go to a 2" header if I am going to put any money in headers.
I am tempted to do the Lemons and coat them. but, I guess I do have a budget after all. ;)
If you have a set of these rodent4, I'm jealous.
Why not just go stainless if you are spending that much?

The coated headmans look good.
I'll call Jegs and get some sunshine blown up my tailpipe about the install.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Likely the reason for so few response's is the majority of headers sold for passenger cars don't fit without some banging. The only set I have ever owned that actually fit perfectly was some Dynatech's for conventional iron head SB in a '67 Camaro...the kicker was they were designed for '68-up Nova's lol. Throw in aftermarket heads and you are truly on your own.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Dave, whatever you decide, just for kicks, compare the prices to autozone and Advanced auto. I lucked out and got a set of coated Dougs Headers for my 454 for about $150 less than Summit. They had a better price and 20% off coupon and free shipping.

Reactions: HandOverFist

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Hedman 65002 ceramic coated 2" fit perfect ( non stock ac car only ) - no dent or ding - engine in sig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,217 Posts
1-3/4" headers are plenty good up to 600 HP.

I'm running 2" headers at over 900 HP......but it is just a puny 450 SBC. :D

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,678 Posts
:cool: Since you asked... I'm going to buy a set of headers for my 'Bu come thaw out time. Here is what I thought I'd get (feel free to comment):

- Hedman Headers #68193 (1 3/4 inch Primary, 3 inch Collector, non-tuned, 18 gauge, Black Ceramic Coated).
- Hedman Heat Riser Adapter #21150 (3 inch diameter -- bolts to collector to mount a Heat Riser: nice for a street-driven car).
- GM BBC Heat Riser.
- Hedman Reducers (included w/ Headers. 3 inch diameter down to 2 1/2 inch diameter)
- Summit Racing Exhaust Crossover Pipes #SUM-642125 (2 1/2 inch diameter. Aluminized Mild Steel).
- "Stock"-style Reproduction Mufflers.
- Tail Pipes (2 1/2 inch, with 2 1/2 inch Chrome Tips).

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
1-3/4" headers are plenty good up to 600 HP.

I'm running 2" headers at over 900 HP......but it is just a puny 450 SBC. :D
In testing on my 600+ HP 496, going from the 2"X3" Hedman 65002 to a generic 1 3/4"X3" header cost 37 HP @ peak and was down across the board from 3500 to 6000+ rpm. (click here and compare pulls 20 & 22)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Whatever you decide, don't buy precoated headers. Buy some and send to JetHot for coating. It's a couple hundred bucks, but the coating has a lifetime (yours) warranty. I recently sent mine back after 13yrs and they recorded them for free. (I paid to ship them to JetHot). Food for thought.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
In testing on my 600+ HP 496, going from the 2"X3" Hedman 65002 to a generic 1 3/4"X3" header cost 37 HP @ peak and was down across the board from 3500 to 6000+ rpm. (click here and compare pulls 20 & 22)
Comparing those two charts the tq/hp of the 2" only began to creep ahead above 4500 rpm. If it made any difference in fitment I would have no problem running the 1-3/4" for street duty.

·
Premium Member
3,217 Posts
Comparing those two charts the tq/hp of the 2" only began to creep ahead above 4500 rpm. If it made any difference in fitment I would have no problem running the 1-3/4" for street duty.
Especially with 2.5" exhaust system.

·
Premium Member
1966 Chevelle S.S
472 Posts
I use Hooker, I know a lot of people don't like them but they fit fine for me. These headers are 2 1/8 I had them Jet hot coated about 20 years ago, they still look good to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Are you racing the car and do you really need headers in the first place? They heat the under hood up which is no good for a street ride.. Just something to think about..

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dave, whatever you decide, just for kicks, compare the prices to autozone and Advanced auto. I lucked out and got a set of coated Dougs Headers for my 454 for about $150 less than Summit. They had a better price and 20% off coupon and free shipping.

Never thought to go there. thanks.

I do go to the track couple times a year, but, car is mostly street.
I suppose I could get buy with 1 3/4, which means I could get these re-coated.
Lots to contemplate.

Good info, thanks.

·
Premium Member
28,654 Posts
Dave,if you want new and cheap that are 1 3/4", Summit SUM-G9010 $159
They fit like a glove on both 4 speed and auto 68-72. They are probably your identical headers without the coating.Based on the Dynomax headers from years ago.

Eric,thanks for posting the part # for the Heddman 2",I will keep those in mind if I get tired of the manifolds on my car.My combo would benefit huge with a 2" primary vs. 1 3/4"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts