Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my Chevelle has been running its temp all the way up when I first start it up, then dropping it right back to normal in a few seconds. Now, I am idleing the car to go and check the radiator but the temp needle is buried and as I get the radiator cap half-way off, it starts foaming everywhere. What is going on and what can I do. I need this car to pick up my parents in an hour at the airport.

------------------
'70 Chevelle SS 396
Frame Off Restoration

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
As far as the overheating goes, beats me. I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but if you went to the doctor and said, "I have a pain in my stomach.....". See what I mean. Could be one or more of a dozen different causes. The radiator cap, if loosened when the engine is hot, WILL allow the coolant to spill out. Hot liquid expands, and pressure increases. What capacity cap do you have on it? A 16 pound, I believe, is what you should have. The overheating problem could be a stuck thermostat, clogged radiator, failing water pump, slipping belts, bad fan clutch (if equipped). Lots of causes. See if it cools down when you're at highway speed. Post the results.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
560,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.