Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay wiring guys need your help. I am replacing the wiring harness under my dash in my 1970 Chevelle SS (with full gauge package = no idiot lights). My old wires were gutted pretty good and most disconnected.

Here is a link to my page where I have pics of the wires I'm not sure about. If you could respond like = WIRE 1 is for ... I would REALLY appreciate it. I tried to describe as best I could

https://home.comcast.net/~caseyd55/wiring_questions.htm

Thanks,

Dave

·
Gold Founding Member
63,048 Posts
1) ?
2) Your guess is correct - tach to neg. side of coil
3) Your guess is correct - cigarette lighter
4)?
5) radio power ? (my guess too)
6)?
7)?
8)?
9) Neutral safety switch, should be a mating plug (might plug into adapter harness going to console.)
10) brake warning light, plugs onto brake pressure switch thingy.
11) temperature gauge sending unit in left side head.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dean -- Can anyone fill in the blanks?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I really suggest you get a wiring digram, it will make it easier for you.

1 = Glove box light
2 = Tach, goes through firewall (grommet) to - coil.
3 = Lighter, Power (Orange) and Ground (ring)
4 = Radio, Black = Ground, Gray = dash light power, Orange = radio power.
5 = Don't know. Is this the other end of wires referred to in 4?? Previous owner may have added something.
6 = Looks to me like it is light brown and black with purple stripe? If so this is power for AC (light brown)and TCS (black with purple stripe).
7 = Clock
8 = Console, goes to console intermeddiate harness
9 = Neutral safety. Previous owner has bypassed the neutral safety switch with the wire in the end of the connector. This also goes to the console intermeddiate harness as the switch is in the cosole.
10 = Brake warning light. Goes to the brake distribution block down on the frame below the brake booster.
11 = Temp Sender. SHould be a dark green wire under insulation
12 = Key warning buzzer. Goes to terminal on horn relay next to one that goes to the horn.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch Steve!! -- your right I need to get a wiring diagram. Electical and me never got along.

Few more questions.

Wire #4 is 3 wires (yellow, black, gray) with the end being a lamp style connector. It comes off the harness right about where the Lighter wire does. Any ideas?

Wire #5 is same colors but ends with the clear plug -- I reattached what the guy had on there orignally .. it ends with a pronged end. Now it looks like it mates to the radio

Wire #6 Your correct it is light brown. I dont have A/C. Where do I plug this into?

Thanks again,

Dave

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Should only be one bundle with yellow, black, gray and this is the radio connector.
You should have a black and gray wire with a bulb socket attached in this area. This would be the bulb for the heater panel. I can only guess that the previous owner has done some of his own rewiring and has used the gray and black wires in the gray/black/yellow bundle to hook up his own heater panel bulb.
Wire #6 does not get connected if you have heat only. I have seen harnesses that were set up for Heat only that also had this wire for AC and some don't have it. If you had AC you would need this wire for power then there would be another separate harness that connected to the Heat/AC panel and run through the firewall to the Fan, fan speed resistors and high speed fan relay.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Steve -- think that should get me finished up. Great Tech resource!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts