Team Chevelle banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I recently replaced all the steering up front on my 70 chevelle but when torqueing (37ft lbs) down the the nut for the center steering link to pitman arm of these isolators destroyed itself because of a misaligned steering box. I need to get a replacement but can't for the life of me find out what it's called so I can start tracking one down.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They install in the highlighted yellow area. 55 views and no replies tells me I'm not the only one that doesn't know what these are called lol.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drag Link?
No its the two little foam washer isolators that I had circled in red. One goes between the idler arm and center link and the other between the pitman arm and center link. Not my car but this is where is sits.

·
Registered
68 4 speed
78 Posts
Idler arm Foam Washers . I think they have them on CPP web site.
They used to be oil soaked felt back in the day.

·
Premium Member
13,734 Posts
seals the grit and dirt out of those ends. You might try your local NAPA store, good luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well no luck but I found some neoprene washers at Lowe’s that might do the trick. Also figured out why the last one crushed the washer. I replaced all the steering except the pitman arm. After further inspection I found that there are two different 1 1/16” pitman arms. One with .485 stud hole for the center link rod and one with .585 hole. Previous owner ran the .585 pitman arm hole size with a .485 center steering link rod. Crazy all the auto parts stores were special order and wanted $150-200 plus a $90 core! I ordered the correct arm from Proforged for $47 shipped to my door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,216 Posts
All the washers I ever put in were like a felt washer. The pitman arm for a non power steering car and a power steering car are different in length. Maybe they have a different hole size too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts