Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired this GM Delco radio a while back. It is an am/fm unit with multiplexer. It looks to be late 60's vintage. The service model number is 04BFM1. I'd like to know what GM application this radio would originally been installed in. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Have you checked out Coppertop's Radio Tech section? Probably find the answer there. It contains decoding information.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
04BFM1
0 = 1970
4 = Div of GM ?? It's not chevy, pont, or olds. Maybe it's a Buick?
B = Body (full size)
FM = AM/FM
1 = 1st series

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The radio tech was leading me in that direction. Either Buick or Caddy. What confused me was the it seems to be a 70 but it does have the multiplexer mounted on top of the case. The multiplexer has the same service ID# tag on it. The radio tech indicated that the separate multiplexer was eliminated in 70. I can take a picture and post it here if this forum allows images.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Hey guys,

Okay here's the scoop:

04BFM1

0 = 1970

4 = Buick Division of GM

B = Full-size (LeSabre, etc)

FM = FM-stereo receiver

1 = first electronic design

****YES this radio needs it's little "pal" the hidden stereo multiplex box to work properly******

1970 was the first year for the 1 piece stereo unit--but not for all GM products!

Chevrolet division really got the cream-of-the-crop from Delco Radio. But this wasn't the only reason for the 1-piece units. A lot of vehicle's designs dictated what kind of equipment was used. Sometimes it was absolutely necessary to "split" the stereo equipment due to internal room in the dashboard.

For example, I worked on a '70 Cutlass 4-4-2 Convertible, it had a stereo radio I repaired. This also used a separate multiplex adapter--the answer was obvious--man what a cramped dash!!
The multiplex box was mounted above the glove compartment to spread out the electronics.

By right, the multiplex box should have the model #:

04BMP1, (the MP=multiplex adapter) but I suppose there are always exceptions to the rule. Just be thankful you have both parts, most people toss the box, or forget it in a junked/wrecked vehicle

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
But Coppertop, Did you happen to check out the instrument cluster on the Cutlass?
Each gauge can be removed individually without removing the whole dash

But I'll agree its tight behind the radio

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
"Hey Ya'll watch this...."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts