Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I was hoping someone here could help me out with the this. A bunch of years ago I bought a 69 Chevelle with a 454BB dropped into it. Since I wasn't much of a car guy at the time, I couldn't tell the difference one way or the other... I want to confirm what type of engine I have and what year the engine is... Can someone tell me how to do that? I read some numbers at the back of the engine near the distributor cap that appear to be: 3868848 and three digits beneath it that I can only make out the last two: _M2... Does this help at all? Oh, and it also says its a Holley. I read in another post here that the 386 number may actually be 3866948 or 3888848... It's hard to tell but one of the 8's looks like it could be a 9 and another looks like it could be a 6... It's just really hard to tell... Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks

·
Registered
948 Posts
Numbers are hard to read when in the car. 3's often look like 8's. Check again on the number. Closest I could find is this:
3969858....427T......68-84...4-bolt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks for the help...

Post back the letters at the end of the VIN number string and we can tell you what it is IF it is still stock.

They should be on the little deck pad that's right above the pass. side top water pump bolt..

Like "CS" or "TSC" sorta deal here..

pdq67
I didn't find anything like it... I don't know if it matters but the water pump is new... It was replaced a couple of years ago and it has a CY on it, but again, it's only two years old...

Numbers are hard to read when in the car. 3's often look like 8's. Check again on the number. Closest I could find is this:
3969858....427T......68-84...4-bolt
Here are the only two numbers I could get to:

As you can see, this is why it's so hard to read this number precisely... It could be 3868848 or 386 6848 or 3848??? The number or letters under this number seem to be GM2 with a T underneath or it's CM2... That first letter is hard to decipher...

This is the only other number I could find just eyeballing the engine:

Any ideas? Thanks again fellas...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
That looks like the intake casting number, 3883948 (66-68),not the engine casting. The engine number is on rear ledge where the transmission bolts up.
Hard to see when engine is in car. Partial vin and engine code may be stamped into small pad in front of passenger head.

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys... It took some hefty cleaning and scrapping but I finally found the numbers on the ledge just behind and below the alternator... Here they are... There were two numbers listed on the ledge:

Do these numbers help to determine what size engine it actually is and what year it was made?

Thanks again for the help... I appreciate it...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
T=Tonawanda engine plant
1013=Oct 13th engine assembled date
CWH=73 Impala 454/215hp LS-4

Partial vin:
1=Chevrolet Div
3=1973 model year
C=Southgate, CA. assembly plant
134137=car sequence number

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I got lucky that my little digital had a macro feature so I was able to get in really tight to figure out what those numbers were...

Hey, do any of you guys know it this a good engine? I was just talking with a buddy and he said he thinks it is and would have decent worth. I prepping the car to be sold so of course, this may make a difference in how I display it...

Thanks... Take it easy...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts