Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok jsut dropped in my new engine cranks up fine. friends took it to my work to show me it is done they turn off car. go to start it up and on of the wires goes up in smoke not sure which one.. but when we go to turn the key nothing happend but all the gages/radio and acces. come on. but no juice going to the starter. but i jumped the + side of the bat. to the + post on the starter and it cranked up. what would cause no power going to start my car up. what fried wire could cause this.

------------------
72' Chevelle SS (Clone)
TC Member#1417

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Just guessing but it sounds like the purple wire to the solenoid (s) terminal got melted. Think when you jumpered the car that's the connection you jumpered to. May have gotten the purple wire too close to the engine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we found a musshy wire, it was black and connect to what looked like the back of the fuse box adn the other end was ona post.. a screw with other wires leading to it.

------------------
72' Chevelle SS (Clone)
TC Member#1417

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Need to describe things a little more. Remember we can't see. Are you looking now under the hood? Up near the brake booster? A square thing screwed on the firwall? If so I think you are looking at the horn relay. The black wire thing sounds like a fusible link. These are like a fuse. Usually they look a little burnt or broken if they are bad.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes this is from looking under the hood. the black wire has a box like end adn is plugged into what looks like the back of the fuse box, and the other end connects to a screw that is in the fire wire we other meet there as well.

------------------
72' Chevelle SS (Clone)
TC Member#1417

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
OK, so the black wire goes into one of the bulkhead connectors. Which one? The inside connector or the outside connector? I'm guessing the inside one.
The screw that the other end goes to: Is the screw attached to a box shaped thing that is held on the firewall with two screws. Other wires are under this screw and there's a nut holding them down?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes it is the inside connector and the other end connect to a screw that has a box by it. in the firewall

------------------
72' Chevelle SS (Clone)
TC Member#1417

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I think we are talking about the same thing. This black wire goes to the horn relay. It screws on a threaded stud with about 3 other wires. One of the wires is a large pink that's on that same threaded stud. Yes, this black wire will have a soft mushy feel to it. If the radio and inside lights work, I don't think there is a problem with this wire.
You might want to check the purple wire down by the starter if you haven't done that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok i check the gm ignition wire(the purple wire) with the volt emter and no current is running through it when the key is in the on position. could i have fried part of my ignition switch?

------------------
72' Chevelle SS (Clone)
TC Member#1417

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The purple wire only has 12 volts when the key is turned to START. When you release the key back to the ON position there is no 12 volts. This stops the solenoid/starter from spinning. Check it again in the START position. Suggest pulling the center coil wire off the coil so the car doesn't fire with you under it. Is this an automatic car?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes it is an automatic. but i had some put the key into start postion and no volts read out.

------------------
72' Chevelle SS (Clone)
TC Member#1417

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
OK, under the dash, on top of the steering column, towards the bottom of the column, is the Neutral Safety Switch. It is curved or horseshoe shaped. This is the switch that prevents the car from being started in Drive. The 72 should have 3 connectors on it. The connector you are looking for has 2 wires on it. A purple and a purple with a white stripe. It's also the hardest to get at. The purple wire is the same purple wire that goes to the solenoid/starter. The purple white stripe wire goes to the ignition switch. You should have 12 volts on the purple stripe wire as you turn the key to START.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
k i'll go chekc that now

------------------
72' Chevelle SS (Clone)
TC Member#1417

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok i jut checked it the purple wire with the white stripe has 12V when the key is engaged in stat position then i checked the purple wire nothing..

------------------
72' Chevelle SS (Clone)
TC Member#1417

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Good, the problem is not the ignition switch because you had 12 volts on the purple stripe wire. I'm assuming that you removed the connector when you took the measurements. If that is true having no 12 volts on the purple wire makes sense. If you unplugged the connector, you disconnected the switch.
Try putting a jumper between the 2 wires in the connector. Sometimes you can get a paper clip in there. Don't damage the connector contacts. Don't let the paper clip touch anything. Even some masking tape around it will help protect it. With a jumper in there you should now have 12 volts to the solenoid/starter purple wire in the START position.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok i tried the paper clip thing got 12V on the purple wire when i turn key i hear my satrter click but not start up, but other day i jump the wire to the satrter adn it started up?

------------------
72' Chevelle SS (Clone)
TC Member#1417

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If you now have 12 volts on the solenoid/starter you don't have an ignition switch problem. It wouldn't start the other day because you have a problem with the Neutral Safety switch. Either it is bad or it is not adjusted correctly. The paper clip is bypassing that safety switch at the moment.
Since it did start the other day, I'm assuming now that the battery is weak. The solenoid click sound usually happens with a weak battery. Try jumping the battery with another car or charge the battery.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok i jumped the batt.witha battery charger but it still makes a click noise when i go to satrt it, maybe the ground on the starter is bad?

------------------
72' Chevelle SS (Clone)
TC Member#1417

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You might have to wait until the battery charges back up. Might try your screwdriver trick jumping solenoid "S" (purple wire). To the large battery wire again. Guessing it won't start like it did the last time. Still thinking the battery is weak unless something happened to the starter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts