Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I got almost all the info they ever put onto this tranny, took out of a 69 Elco if you could help me out that would be greatly appreciated!!

Main Case
T10-1B
W.G.DIV.
W-1

Side Cover
T10-128B
W.G.DIV
Next to Side Cover WB2452

Tail shaft
T10K-7
WG DIV
Stamp 12-11-64
Reverse Side - GS
Next to mid plate - 5Z127373

Input Shaft 0 Grooves

On the Bearing Retainer
GM 45

Attachments

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between a Borg Warner T-10 and a Super T-10??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know I have searched on that topic a lot an some say that the borg t-10 is better than the muncie super t-10 an some say that the muncie super t-10 is better than the borg t-10 an even the year separation of all of them. All in all I think it's what your applying it to an most importantly the gear ratio. I have heard stories of both breaking down an having problems but I have heard other stories where both are better than any other tranny so my biggest guess would be is preference on what your going to apply it to. An old friend that I had said that he used to crack engines with the super t-10 until he applied a bigger engine which cracked the tranny. Hope this helped some what.🤓

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
The super T-10 isn't a Muncie, it was the replacement for the Muncie in the mid-70's. It is considered to be stronger than the earlier T-10's which was replaced by the first of several Muncie designs. There is value, but the early T-10 isn't generally considered to be a strong transmission.

Steve R

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We'll split my manhood an call me Caitlyn your right, I got the trannys mixed up, but I've heard that if you find one for a 60s corvette that it'll be worth a lot do to them being rare is that true?

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
We'll split my manhood an call me Caitlyn your right, I got the trannys mixed up, but I've heard that if you find one for a 60s corvette that it'll be worth a lot do to them being rare is that true?
If you could verify it was originally from a Corvette and found someone looking for that particular date code. However, someone said yours was originally from an A-body. That limits its appeal. I think GM had moved away from the T-10 by 1965.

Steve R

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah because didn't they close down the site in Fremont in 65? Or was that another site? An true but I do like the A body's a lot more than any earlier models

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Yeah because didn't they close down the site in Fremont in 65? Or was that another site? An true but I do like the A body's a lot more than any earlier models
GM operated the Fremont plant into the 1980's, the Corvette was never made there. Tesla manufactures it's cars at that plant.

Steve R

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Super t-10 to t-10

Bigger main shaft
Wider gears
Thicker teeth
Beefier case
Gears are much better aligned
Tighter tolerances
1" counter shaft, not 3/4"? Like the t10

I have had both on the bench at the same time as I had the same question. Without a doubt any power run the super. In terms of strength my research found the following

Saginaw
M20/t10
M21
Supert10/m22
A833
Ford toploader

I'm sure someone will argue that list.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Good basic T10 vs ST10 rule;

T10 = 10 spline input shaft = 1st design
ST10 = 26 spline input shaft = 2nd design
Actually...

10 spline input with a 16 spline out = early T10. Thrust roller between 2nd and 3rd and 36 tooth first gear

10 spline input with 27 spline out = 1st Design ST10 with mainshaft thrust flange between 2nd and 3rd and 34 tooth first gear

26 spline inPut with 32 spline out - 2nd Design ST10 with mainshaft thrust flange between 2nd and 3rd and 34 and 30 tooth first gear

HERE IS A LINK TO THE RARE BORG WARNER POWER BRUTE ST10 CATALOG

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Actually...

10 spline input with a 16 spline out = early T10. Thrust roller between 2nd and 3rd and 36 tooth first gear

10 spline input with 27 spline out = 1st Design ST10 with mainshaft thrust flange between 2nd and 3rd and 34 tooth first gear

26 spline inPut with 32 spline out - 2nd Design ST10 with mainshaft thrust flange between 2nd and 3rd and 34 and 30 tooth first gear

HERE IS A LINK TO THE RARE BORG WARNER POWER BRUTE ST10 CATALOG
You fixed it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts