Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66......I put in all new harnesses....heres whats happening.....drivers side front turn signal problem........rear is fine.......front turn signal just barely lights as it blinks.....parking light does not come on...when I turn on the parking lights the turn signal light in the dash lights up, goes off when the headlights are turned on.....checked the dis- connect plug between the harness and the parking light with a test light(Harness side) the test light blinks for the turn signal and lights for the parking light......so far so good.....hooked up harness to the lamp assy , took the bulb out and checked the bulb contacts within the lamp socket........checks O.K....I put in a bulb and the turn signal barely glows and the parking light does not come on but the indicator bulb in the dash lights up when the parking light should be on........with the two wires that go to the lamp assy being the feeds???? .....I assumed that the ground were suspect......I cleaned the inside of the socket and installed star washers between the lamp assy and the bumper so when the screws were tightened a good ground should maintained...same thing........any ideas on what to check next......it has a tilt wheel and I need to replace the cancel cam....don't know if that has any thing to do with it but .......
Thanks in advance
Ken :rolleyes:

·
Registered
318 Posts
did you check out all your ground cables? Those lights being some of the furthest from the battery, they might be suffering from a weak ground. You never know. Stranger things have happened. I would first start out with checking the condition of ALL your grounding cables.

If that doesn't work - did you try swapping bulbs? You might have one that's shorted.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you check out all your ground cables? Those lights being some of the furthest from the battery, they might be suffering from a weak ground. You never know. Stranger things have happened. I would first start out with checking the condition of ALL your grounding cables.

If that doesn't work - did you try swapping bulbs? You might have one that's shorted.

I did try a couple of new bulbs with the same results.......I also added the star washers to make sure the ground was O.K.......since there are only two wires going to the light assy and they are both power....I assume the housing must supply the ground.....maybe the housing itself is bad....i'll switch the pass side to the driver and see what happen's.........
Ken :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Try it using a test wire as a ground. Install the light bulb and turn the lights on. Take a piece of wire and touch the metal bulb base right where it meets the bulb glass. Touch the other end of the test wire to a known good ground. (Provides a ground directly to the light bulb).
See if that changes anything.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try that......
Thanks again
Ken

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sounds like a ground feed back for sure.If you don`t find it by grounding direct,try all new bulbs again,If not there one of the sockets will probabley be bad. HTH GoodLuck;

Troy

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Grounded the bulb body and guess what......that was it........the bulb body housing part of the lamp assy lost it connection for ground .....soldered a jumper wire and it now works perfectly.......
Thanks a Million.........
Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts