Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK gang!! Ive spent a couple evenings standing on my head under the dash trying to clear the deck for my friend the painter to paint the dash when we paint the car. I have a new bezel set for inst. cluster, radio & above glovebox. I was able to get the glovebox out of the way along with the bezel above (I got the lock apart, but don't know the trick to reassembly--but that can wait for now). I also got the ash tray, radio & heater control all out, all relatively straight forward. I also removed the heater housing, reconditioned & installed new core & motor. Now I've run into a couple of snags. I want to remove the dash strip & instument cluster assembly. I think I can get the lighter & I was able to get the knob off the wiper so it should clear the deck for those items, however the headlight switch is being stubborn. I pushed the button on the side of the switch, but the knob/shaft won't release (could I be pushing it too far?). The next snag is that I have all the obvious screws out of the dashpad & it doesn't want to come out. Finally, the real snag causing alot of time standing on my head is the instrument cluster. I was able to get at the (4) screws on the bottom, but the top ones are hidden behind a wiring harness. I'm afraid if I Am able to eventually get those out that I'll never be able to "blind reassemble" them. Should I just move on to trying to get the dash completely pulled? The wiring harness still seems to be intact, so I don't want to "burn any bridges". Any tips or advise would be appreciated on any or all of these matters. Thanks a bunch!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm int the process of doing the same thing... I pulled my dash all the way out with everything intact. Took it all apart, had it sanded and painted. I brought it home and put the bezels,locks, dash strip and cluster back on. Now I'm just waiting for the reast of the car to get painted before I put it back in... I think it will be easy to install if you have a friend holding most of the weight while you connect the gauges or install the idiot lights.

·
Registered
12 Posts
drop the steering and remove the whole dash front panel, do the rehab and then put it back as a complete unit. a lot of work but in the long run it is the most practicle way to do it. did my 67' w/air about 2 years ago. it "aint no afternoon project....

------------------
jtkirk13 (steve gold#222

http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/chevellewagon/index.html

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input fellas. I surveyed the situation tonight with your advise & was able to pull it out as a unit, except I disconnected the instrument cluster & left it attached to the wires. Even though there are stamped labels on the back of the cluster assembly for wire color, I'm going to wait & number-tag each before disconnecting & removing the cluster. Also after removing the dash, I found the studs on the dashpad with "barrel nuts" on them going down through the dash that were holding me up. Thanks again for the suggestions. It got me over that "hurdle".

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
I just redid my 66 dash this past winter.
Something I discovered about re-assembling the glove box lock assy, is you can tighten the bezel with the internal hex onto the lock housing before putting in the tumbler assembly. After it is tight, you can just press in the tumbler assembly and all those little tabs compress and then spring out to hold it all in place.
I hope you can understand this.

Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts