Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot seem to locate the rearend ID code on my 69SS. I have seen its location indicated as being on the right axle facing out towards the rear bumper. Are these raised letters/numbers, or stamped?
It is a 10 bolt rearend, and I would like to learn the gear ratio and if it is the original if possible? Please help. Thank you.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,266 Posts
Usually find this on the front or front-top of the passenger side axle tube. It's stamped, might take a little scraping if there's crud built up.

Tom

·
Registered
112 Posts
The code is on the passenger side axle. Mine was on top, the code is not raised but stamped so using a mirror is a big help. I had to really clean my axle with a wire brush to see it. Good luck.

------------------
Jon, 66 Malibu Sport Coupe
Fremont CA, Birthplace of many a Chevelle
Team Chevelle Member #80
members.tripod.com/jon66bu/jon1.html

·
Registered
341 Posts
Last one of these I looked at was lightly stamped and the housing was rusted so I actaully couldn't make it out. Might pull cover to check ratio and check for date on ring or pinion. Also sometimes you'll find a date code on the cast center "punkin" or outside housing. tom

·
Gold Founding Member
5,822 Posts
Mine is stamped on the passenger side tube facing the FRONT of the car.
Ron

------------------
70 Chevelle SS396, 71 Z28-RS, 95 Z28 Convertible. Aces 3081, TC #54 Gold

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help. I have not had the opportunity to pull the cover. I have wire brushed until I very well could have the cleanest axle in town.
I cannot find anything on my axle.
I did find a raised "F168" on the passenger side rear of the "punkin". Also, on the front of the "punkin", also passenger side were raised letters, "GM55".? Next step...admit myself to a good hospital with a padded room!
Thanks again for your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.