Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this time of high gasoline prices why don't we start a forum for gas mileage and the engine, rear, tranny combo's we all use? This would give everyone combo's, then we could look at them to try to get better mileage with our muscle cars (thus promoting driving). I am talking about street cars, and crusiers, not the high power drag cars. Anything to further promote our beloved hobby! I do not care what anybody says we will drive less as the gas prices continue to climb!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
It's a thought, but think about it further. These are mostly hobby cars, and even for the people who drive Chevelles as their only cars (like me) it's really not an issue. Did anyone buy a muscle car thinking it would get 25 mpg?

Plus, as much as it hurts to fill up at the pump, that's not where it's going hit us the most. The real pain will be in the rising cost of EVERYTHING ELSE. Diesel is way higher than gas and diesel transports everything we buy. Complaining about the price of gas at the pump is like complaining that the bottom of your rowboat has gotten wet while right behind you looms a three-story tsunami.

I appreciate gas-saving tips, but I don't think it warrants a separate forum.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Interesting.................but I don't think anything about our cars says great fuel economy. The cars were built when MPG was a non issue. To get one of these cars to provide near favorable fuel economy by todays standards the first thing that would have to be done is to remove the MUSCLE from the muscle car. Or dump tons of dollars into creating something that is little more then a new car with an old shell around it. To me that would make our cars as boring as many of the new products that are coming out of the automotive industry. They boast 30 mpg but lack personality. This hobby isn't cheap and neither is golf, deep sea fishing, boating and many other sports that value isn't measured by $ but by the sheer pleasure of being in and around a culture that is true Americana, and when people allow, transcends all of our cultural differences.

Interesting thought and one that I wait anxiously to see other viewpoints concerning. I hope by sharing my opinion that others with similar or different viewpoints will chime in.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
What are you going to do? Pull the big block and swap in a 4 banger and turn it into a Chevy Cobalt? Where's the fun in that.

I drive my 30 mpg subcompact when I'm worried about fuel economy. My next car will probably be a hybrid that gets close to 50 mpg, but I will still have my Chevelle.

Cut back on spending on other things and don't worry about gassing up your Chevelle.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
In this time of high gasoline prices why don't we start a forum for gas mileage and the engine, rear, tranny combo's we all use? This would give everyone combo's, then we could look at them to try to get better mileage with our muscle cars (thus promoting driving). I am talking about street cars, and crusiers, not the high power drag cars. Anything to further promote our beloved hobby! I do not care what anybody says we will drive less as the gas prices continue to climb!

waste off time
these cars are not daily drivers.
they are hobby cars/toys/fair weather drivers
even if one combo gets 2-3 mpg better fuel econo..
whats that a c-note a year(season)
if you want to get high mpg.
install a 250 inline six.. install a megasquirt efi system(cheap)
and a 200r4 or 700r4/e/etc and 2.90 gears..
a bbc isn't gonna get high mpg.
if you DRIVE it..
same with a mild sbc
lead foots, kill mpg..
and thats why most of us have these cars for..
that get up and go, when you drop the hammer

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Here's a link to put our cars in perspective:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exotic/112_0806_2008_maserati_gran_turismo/specifications.html

It's for a 2008 Maserati GranTurismo. The article admits that it's a touring car, not a sports car, but pretty much everything to do with mpg and performance in this car is analogous with a 60's-70's mild BB Chevelle. A loaded Chevelle is about the same curb weight (4100 lbs), and a mild BB will yield similar performance in a straight line (5.0 seconds 0-60, 13.5 seconds 1/4 mile).

My Chevelle's mild BB gets an mpg of about 10/15. Look at the EPA of the Maserati. Remember that EPA is "estimated" and generally yields 20% less than the numbers stated. That makes a BB Chevelle and a new Maserati about equally fuel efficient. In addition, a basically stock Chevelle doesn't have the benefit of EFI or overdrive, and a BBC is almost twice the size of the Maserati's 4.2 L V8.

My point is that with performance comes the cost of fuel consumption, and whether it's a classic or something just off the lot, the cost is about the same.

Isn't it shameful that after 40 years of technological development, car manufacturers can't develop a more efficient engine? Yes, it's smaller and makes the same power, but so what? -- it uses the same amount of fuel. As for the new Corvette, although EFI and aerodynamics help, it gets 25 mpg primarily because it weighs next to nothing (~ 3300 lbs). Load the passenger seat and trunk with free weights and then calculate mpg.

Enjoy your Chevelle. It's a great car.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I think most of you are missing the point here...

I don't think it was ever the intent to somehow mutate a Chevelle into a gas mileage king, as some of you imply. But part of the hobby/game is creating something a bit beyond what we started with. This is the hot rod spirit that many of us enjoy. What is wrong with employing some of that creativity towards improving the efficiency of the car?

And if you think the Corvette gets 25 MPG because it weighs nothing... you are very mistaken. You are likewise mistaken if you truly think that performance and economy are mutually exclusive. If anything we, by virtue of not having pollution control oversite, could have a very real economy advantage over that Corvette. Ever hear of lean burn (how Honda achieved 35-40+ MPG *and* postponed cat converters in the 70's)? That Vette has to run 14.7:1 AFR to keep the cats lit. We could probably cruise at 17:1 AFR with the right ignition setup and still have 13:1 AFR for max power and those big silly grins. What do you think that would do to highway MPG? And as to burning up a motor running too lean, if you burn it up it means you were not running it lean enough ;)

EFI is a huge step in the right direction here. It also needs to be combined with an intake optimized for EFI. Then add some gearing to reduce cruise RPMs. Add in closed loop feedback control of an optimized ignition. Perhaps expirement with multi-cylinder displacement.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Apples to apples. Load 800 lbs into a new Corvette and then calculate your mpg.

EFI and overdrive of course help fuel efficiency. But go back to the Maserati -- look up their line of cars from the four door to the Spyder and you'll see that when curb weight goes down, gas mileage goes up.

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
As one who loves to drive my elky to cruise ins, shows or just for the heck of it, I can tell you how to save gas, DON'T MASH THE PEDAL DOWN !!!

Beyond that some guys who rarely drive thier cars don't care how much gas they burn. We all have to decide want we want from our cars and build/tune them accordingly.

I like the feel of a big bock as many do so I'm not going to spend gozillions of dollars changing over to a small block or some other late model engine just for economy. I have managed to maintain a fair amount of performance and somewhat decent fuel milage with a tall gear, overdrive, and a light foot on the pedal. I will actually be able to drive to CB08 much cheaper than I could tow my elky to Tenn., and that's a good thing in my book!!! I still have enough horsepower to break parts though so I may not make any passes down Music City Raceway.

My problem with fuel prices now is I feel like I'm being robbed every time I fill up, be it the elky or my daily driver!!! I just feel like I have to do something to keep as much money out of the oil barrons hands as I can. And yes, I have curtailed some of my driving. I'm going only to the big shows I can and the local cruise in, no more heading out every Saturday morning to any event in reach just to be going.

Anyway, probably no need to have a forum just for gas milage, someone would claim they're gettin 30mpg and get a real flame war started!!!

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
i think its a good idea. most of the cars are not driven daily but some are and some people like me are interested in building an older car to drive everyday. ls1 overdrive into 78 elcamino for instance.

·
Premium Member
28,735 Posts
Install a 2.56 or 2.73 rear and stock torque convertor. Or,run an overdrive trans.
Use a vacuum secondary carb or a Qjet...etc,etc,etc.

I will be driving mine less..I have 5 toys right now and filling them all up would be some $$$ :D
Luckily,we have a lot of local cruise nights..one almost every night around here. I will be lightfooting my way there to save on gas+tires

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
LOL...I could improve the gas mileage by 100% on my 540 and still not hit 14 mpg. These cars were never meant to be good on gas and they never will be good on gas. Just relax and enjoy.

Tom

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
I know there are plenty of exceptions, but IMO. Muscle cars and gas mileage is an oxymoron.

·
Registered
14,537 Posts
Im glad I kept one 2.73 rear end. instead of giving them all away. jim

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am swapping in an LS2 and a TKO 500 5 speed with overdrive. I am doing the swap for driveability and not so much gas mileage. The engine stock has 400hp/400tq (under-rated). I put in a small cam that is supposed to gain me 480 hp and 471 lb-ft. Gas mileage will probably be around 20 or something similar to a new GTO or Vette with an LS2. I have heard of guys putting in a stock LS1 with a T56 and getting 27MPG on the highway. Not worth the loss of power in my opinion.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hobby car my A__!!! My 64 SS is my "daily" driver. I work from the house and put about 240 miles on it a week mostly on 100+ mile trips. I have a stock 283 (85,000 orig miles) with a TH350 automatic (B&M shift kit) and stock rear end and glass packs on the duals. I disconnected the secondaries just to see what my mileage would be. It returned 22.8 mpg crusing the Georgia 2 lane back roads at 55 to 65 mph. It has consistently returned between 19.8 and 23.4 in the past 1500 miles. I've checked it at every fill-up. The lower number represents mostly mountain driving as I live at the southern tip of the Great Smokey Mountains. We are now looking for another 283 chevy to become my wife's daily driver. She's sick of the high maintenance cost of her Buick! Get those 283's out of moth balls and on the road where they belong. The mileage from a Honda is not much better and the thrill of driving your Chevelle can't be touched by any import!

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
This year I put an overdrive transmission into my chevelle (tko600) and was absolutely amazed the results. 24mpg higway. I will admit that it is a small block and a lot of you guys have a lot more power than me, but I did managed to put 9000 miles on my car last year. I was fine with the piss poor MPG that I was getting until I went to drive to a friends wedding and saw a sign that said no more gas for 130 miles. Well at that time I couldn't go that far on a tank of gas. Needless to say I needed to buy a few gas cans to finish the trip. I personally wouldn't sacrafice the power that my car makes for better mileage because that would defeat the purpose of the car, but with My O/D trans I can have my cake and eat it too. I have put way to much money in my car elsewhere I would like to keep as little of my hard earned cash out of the gas tank and into things my car needs. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I bought this 1969 last September with plans of BB w/4.10's but will probably leave it a 307 w/2.73's for now. It gets driven almost everyday so will save $$ on gas.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
I've had this 70 Elky for a few years now....tired of the 350 and figuring a mild 454 will be faster and more street friendly,run UL Reg, and get as good mpg than a built Mouse......So goin' with the big boy!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Guys ,

I own a 75 "Malibu" ( the forgotten years , I know ) , 250ci , TH350 , plain stock , I bought it one month ago , it's my daily driver , I have no other driveable car for the moment .

I'm running on LPG , which costs about a third of the price of gas ( 0.50 € for a litre LPG <--> 1.45 € for a litre gasoline ) and I use 14 litres of LPG to travel 100 kms

translated in your system , it comes down to 17 MPG , not bad compared to my former 85 Chevy "Van" with a 305ci LE9 , which averaged 9.25 MPG :D

Regards ,

Laurent

1 - 20 of 24 Posts