Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run dual electric fans with dual relays and dual cylinder type 30 amp fuses. I have run this for about 2 months. Today I noticed that one fan wasn't running. I looked at the fuse holders and they were both melted. The fuses were not blown. It seems the load is too much for the fuse holder. Can someone recommend a solution? Does anyone make a 30 amp fuse link?
Thanks.
Bill

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If the fuse holder is melted was it the ones that with a quarter twist the come apart and is made out of a clear or milky white plastic ?. If so they make better ones for use on car audio. While most shops may not have them look for the ones that take your same size AGC glass fuses but have a 10-12 gauge wire in them and are made out of a hard plastic (similiar to bakelite) and the fuse holder halves thread together (I have some old ones at the shop just for your type of situation).
Another option would be to change to dual AGU fuses. These are a larger diameter and length than the AGC style and the fuse size can range from 10A to 60A. These fuse holders normally accept an 8-4 gauge wire but you could take the holder apart to solder the wire into it.
I would maybe stop at a stereo shop and see what they have or what they can order. A lot of things are out there. Some stereo fuse holders are made for underhood use and are made out of a higher temperature plastic. If you havn't already, mount the holder away from heat sources as much as possible.
Jim

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are the clear plastic holders mentioned above. I will try to track down some better fuse holders.
Thanks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: I stopped at the nearest car audio shop and they had a rather heavy duty looking part that accept a push in fuse. I installed them today and so far so good.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Did it Look like a larger version of the typical new style automotive fuse (ATO style)? If so, that would be a MAXI fuse. You can get the fuse holder and fuses for up to 80A in that style. If not, then it would be some type of barrel fuse.

Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts