Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the fence regarding my new exhaust system. The engine is a stock 350 in my '72 Convertible. I will be installing Dynomax Ceramic Headers from Summit 1/5/8 tubes w/ 3" collector ($206). My (2) options are as follows:

1. Torque Tech 2.5" system using Walker super Dynomax (3) chamber mufflers. No crossover and turn down behind bumper (like factory)

2. Flowmaster 2.5" system with Cross-over from Summit. Mufflers are (3) chamber from Summit. Pipes exit straight out the back? (at least the guy form Summit said there straight out?)

Costs are Torque Tech=$385 and Summit=$326

Is anyone running these systems?
Are these too loud for a convertible? (I want the muscle car sound, but I like to hear my stereo also)?
If there any quality differences between Torque Tech and Flowmaster?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm using the 2.5" torque tech system with the hemi dynomax mufflers on a beefed up small block. If I get another car I will put the same system on. Good fit, high quality materials, and I really like the sound. Just a tip, for any system you put on, start at the back and work forward, measure BOTH side from the muffler to the hedders before you cut (different lengths.) Wish I had the ceramic coat hedders, and if I were doing anything over I think my motor could use the 1-3/4 hedder tubes. Good luck! Steve

Edit: The system works fine with my stereo. At cruising speeds it is not too loud, but hit the pedal and it sounds good! See my comment under the "muffler post" Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve Balderson (edited 06-03-99).]

·
Registered
17 Posts
The 2.5 inch flowmaster exhaust I bought from Summit for my 70ss had both turn downs and straight pipes.It also has the crossover. I ordered without the mufflers.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have a 2-1/2" system with 3-chamber flowmasters on my '69 Chevelle. It sounds great and at highway speeds is very mellow! Stand on the throttle and it's loud, but not deafening. Most systems won't affect the db level inside the passenger compartment that much as long as it exits out back and is sealed up tight. I also have Hooker ceramic metallic headers and they are worth the money. When ever they get a little dingy I just hit them with a little polish and instantly they look like new!

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 1972 stock 350 Chevelle daily driver with stock exhaust manifold has Flowmaster pipes (part # FLO-17107, price = 198.95) with DynoMax super turbo mufflers (part # 17734, price 30.95 each) all from summit. Sounds great at idle and on the freeway.

My current 1967 ZZ4 Chevelle project has Hedman ceramic coated headers (part # HED-68296, price 274.95) with Flowmaster pipes (part # FLO-17107, price = 198.95) with DynoMax super turbo mufflers (part # 17734, price 30.95 each) all from summit. The parts haven’t been installed yet but would expect the sound to be a little bit throatier because of the headers plus more power.

Good Luck

G

·
I can't resist this, I had the dual exhaust system install on the 71 yesterday. The car has the shorty headman headers. The complete system custom made with aluminized pipe in 2 1/4 with Flowmaster mufflers, all the way out the back with chrome pencil ends, all joints welded, $325. And the real plus was it was done in two hours, I was clean and on my way.

Before you $300 plus dollars on a system you had to put on, I think I would look for someone in your area that does custom work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.