Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My electric dryer took a dump on me. It won't heat up at all. I have just enough tech experience to be dangerous, so I took the thing apart and found no obvious broken/burnt wiring or components.

I broke out the multimeter to run some resistance checks and here's what I found:

1-heating element tested within specs at 7.8-11.8 Ohms.
2-heater t-stat tested within specs at 3240-3960 Ohms.
3-thermal fuse tested no resistance, which is good, right? Because infinite Ohms means the circuit is broken and the fuse is blown?
4-thermal cutoff tested infinite Ohms, bad right?

This thing also has 2 limiting t-stats, one for high temps and one for low temps. I'm measuring no resistance across them both. Am I testing them correctly? I can't exactly remember how to test t-stats. (are these like a type of thermo-couple in a furnace?)

All testing was done on un-energized circuits...duh!
I know these are stupid questions, but I'm a cheap/dumb/broke bastid and I can save a pot load of $ if I can narrow the problem down. Am I on the right track? Please assist. Thank you so much.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
The thermostats could be either; some are normally open and some are normally closed. I would at least assume that they are using the same type of circuit for both and would have the same type logic for both of them. Based on that, they are probably good.
Do you have a wiring diagram? They are usually plastered somewhere on the unit, or folded up inside the control console.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, got the diagram on back of the unit...that's the only way I could have known the values that I did come up with. There were no Ohm values on the schematic for any other components I tested.

I just had one of those moments. I was looking at the schematic. Near the t-stats is printed "NC"...normally closed?...meaning since both tested no Ohms, they are good? Wow! I still have a few brain cells left!

So far, have I done stuff correctly, or am I sounding like a complete doofus?...Thanks

[This message has been edited by Walter Zoomie (edited 07-01-2002).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
NC is Normally Closed meaning the switch should read shorted. I'm not an expert on dyers but the high T-stat is normally mounted in the dryer airstream. This is a safety feature if the dryer gets too hot.
The dryer may contain a variable knob for different heat settings. It has a tube like thing on it. This is like a temp sensor in a car. I've found these to be a problem. You may get some help from your local major appliance parts house. These guys sometimes know what normally goes out on your model. I think this is some information on how it works but haven't read it. Normally a pretty good site. http://www.howstuffworks.com/dryer.htm

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Had a problem with my dryer that prevented the fire from starting...Looked at the schematic and located all of the fuses (3) of course one had blown. Replaced same and problem solved.

You mentioned thermal cutoff with infinite resistance. Is that a fuse? If so sounds like a likely prospect.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that thermal cutoff was bad. I got a new one, put it on, put the dryer back together, hooked it up, and the whole shootin' match went up in a heinous orange fireball!! The heating element, which previously tested good, burnt up and is now in a thousand pieces. I'm done fartin' with it. I bought it new in '89 and never had to do anything to it. I guess it's lived it's productive life. I'm off to Sears to go dryer shopping ....what fun. This'll put the Chevelle project off another six months. This crap never ends. I need to be independently wealthy.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Sorry to hear you didn't get it working. I know when mine did that it was the high temp rely / fuse. It was a few dollars but sure made the wife happy.

------------------
Deon
72SS454 Clone
Website

[This message has been edited by 72SS454Chevelle (edited 07-01-2002).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts